Conformance and Guidance for Implementation/Testing
Warning: Archived web page, CGIT has been renamed to Conformance. Please see current Conformance_Workgroup page for latest information.
Note: during the May2011 WGM the Implementation and Conformance WG has renamed itself to clarify the scope.
Note: during the May2007 WGM the Implementation Committee and the Conformance SIG became a new TC. See draft ImpConf Mission and Charter and Actions for ImpConf merger. The Implementation committee was formally wound up, and the Implementation Conformance TC (ICTC) was formed.
- 1 Conformance and Guidance for Implementation/Testing
- 1.1 Meeting Information
- 1.2 Projects
- 1.3 Committee agenda topics
- 1.4 Current Activities
- 1.5 Action Items
- 1.6 Documents
- 1.7 Tooling and Testing
- 1.8 Conformance Projects
- 1.9 Working Group Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- 1.10 Conference Call Agenda and Minutes
- 1.11 New Wiki Page
- 1.12 Archived Links
Conformance and Guidance for Implementation/Testing
This wiki page is a merger of the content from the two committee's original wiki pages.
The HL7 Implementation committee supports HL7 members and other users of HL7 (draft) standard specifications, with the identification and resolution of issues related to successful implementation thereof.
This Wiki is used to develop an implementation FAQ, as well as a place to maintain and evolve ideas that have been discussed in committee. Formal minutes and agendas will still be maintained and posted to the HL7.org website - with this space providing for a more fluid development of content, where meeting notes will be fleshed out beyond what may have been said in the meeting, and then used as the basis for other documents. The page history can be used to see what has been added since a particular meeting.
- Every two weeks on Monday
- 4:00 PM US Eastern Time
- Web Meeting Information:
Phone Number: +1 770-657-9270
Participant Passcode: 644843
Web meeting https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/647877325
This section is for projects that are registered with the HL7 Project Office, and for which there are formal project scope documentation
This section is for projects that have been considered in the Implementation committee and regarded as potentially useful, but for which there is no current activity:
- Implementation Guide Authoring Tool (NIST)
- Messaging Workbench 2 - MWB2
- Unified Conformance Guidance for HL7 Product Lines (previously "Refinement, Constraint, and Localization - version 3").
- Functional Requirement Specification Guidance Document
These are projects that have been active, but which are not currently being progressed within the committee.
These are projects that have been closed.
- HL7 DSTU testing toolkit
- Implementation Guides Project
- Implementation Guides This is a comprehensive list of known IGs with references
Committee agenda topics
- FAQs on the HL7.org website -- how are they maintained
This section is for projects that are actively being developed in the Implementation committee
- CGIT SWOT
- Conformance Strategic Plan
- old: ICTC Strategic Plan (= 3 year roadmap)
- Implementation Register
- Implementation Case Studies
- Mappings and Translations
- Implementation FAQ
- Implementation Guide This is a short overview of what an IG will do
- V3 flattening tools
- V3 Online Testing
- Chapter 2B Draft (for May 2011 WGM discussion)
- v2.x proposals
- conformity assessment: how to deal with optionality/usage codes?
HL7 V2 Value Set Specification Proposal
- Proposal Slides
- Slides coming soon...
Joint with Vocabulary
Please find IC work group action items here: IC Action Items. They are categorized as Open and Closed.
- Implementation FAQ
- Test Cases
- Implementer Workshops
- Product V3 RCL
These documents are open documents for editing by any interested party:
- Conformance User Guide
- Conformance Implementation Manual
- Conformance Discussion
- Conformance Datatype Specialization Constraints
- Conformance FAQ
- Conformance Glossary
- Conformance Statement
- Eclipse OHF Conformance Questions
- Constraint Language
NICTIZ have created an implementation oriented discussion document related to conformance and artefact versioning:
Work Group decision making process: http://www.hl7.org/Library/Committees/pi/Default_HL7_WG_DMP_v3.0.doc
Documents maintained by other committees
The following documents may be of interest / relevance to implementers, and you are encouraged to read / review / correct / improve them
- Example implementation guide
- IHE PIX-PDQ v3 Profile (english)
- CDA Release 2, see  (10 Mb) for a collection of CDA R2 examples, stylesheets and implementation guides. Examples from various realms. A more up-to-date version of this example collection is available here.
- Normative Edition 2006 examples and schema, see NE2006 Examples. The examples include examples from multiple Realms for multiple domains (e.g. Patient Admin, Lab, Medical Records)
- May2006 Ballot schema and schema, see German Realm May2006 Examples. Most examples are related to Patient Registries or Financial Coverage. Some schema have been constrained to fit the requirements of the German realm.
- NICTIZ (AORTA) schema and examples (mostly based on ballot 7), see Dutch Realm Ballot7 Examples. Most examples are related to PA, Pharmacy, Patient Care.
- "Navigating the pitfalls: Implementing HL7 version 3", edited by Rene Spronk, see Ringholm whitepaper. The contents have been included in the Implementation FAQ.
Tooling and Testing
List of known tools.
Profile Authoring Tools
- MWB (HL7v2)
- IGAMT (HL7v2)
- MDHT Model Drive Health Tools (CDA IG)
- TriFolia - Lantana Group trifolia.lantana.com (CDA IG)
- Art-Decor art-decor.org (HL7 v3 & CDA)
- EHR Functional Modeling Tooling?
Conformance Validation Tools
- NIST v2 Validation Suite (IHE & MU)
- NIST CDA Validation (IHE & MU)
- SMART CDA
- Detailed Clinical Models
- Message Quality Framework?
- HealthInfoWay V3 Validation Tool - Everest
- HL7 Conformance Testing - Developer Integration Laboratory (DIL) by Aegis
- Hi3 Solutions (HL7 v2)
- AHML - Australian Health Messaging Lab (HL7 v2) http://www.ahml.com.au/
- NIST has installed a testserver for conformance testing of the POLB_IN111100 interaction (using May 2006 schema). E-mail your order message to email@example.com and it will respond with a one or more v3 interactions.
- Australian Healthcare Messaging Laboratory (AHML) - HL7 Testing and Certification Services
Here is a list of Conformance Projects that are known to be in progress outside of HL7.
US Meaningful Use Stage 2: HL7 Standards Referenced In the Final Rule
The following link identifies the Implementation Guides required for MU2 certification:
The Conformance Facilitator is a designated team member of a project intending to create an Implementation Guide of a existing HL7 standard (i.e. Product Line). The Conformance Facilitator is expected to have
- implementing or testing solutions using of the base standard (e.g. HL7 Version 2.7, HL7 Version 3.0, HL7 CDA R2, HL7 FHIR)
- representing interoperability requirements as base standard data element constraints, vocabulary specification, or functional criteria as required by the IG
The Conformance Facilitator informs the project team about conformance criteria, concepts, and best practices to create testable implementation guides.
Working Group Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Conformance_Jan_2017_WGM_Agenda San Antonio, TX, USA
- CGITWG_Sep_2016_WGM_Agenda Baltimore, MD, USA
- CGITWG_May_2016_WGM_Agenda Montreal, QC, Canada
- CGITWG_Jan_2016_WGM_Agenda Orlando, FL, USA
- CGITWG_Oct_2015_WGM_Agenda Atlanta, GA, USA
- CGITWG May 2015 WGM Agenda Paris, France
- CGITWG January 2015 WGM Agenda San Antonio, TX, US
- CGITWG Sept 2014 WGM Agenda Chicago, IL, US
- CGITWG May 2014 WGM Agenda Phoenix, AZ, US
- CGITWG January 2014 WGM Agenda San Antonio, TX, US
- CGITWG September 2013 WGM Agenda Cambridge, MD, US
- CGITWG May 2013 WGM Agenda Atlanta, Georgia, US
- CGITWG January 2013 WGM Agenda Phoenix, Arizona, US
- CGITWG Sept 2012 WGM Agenda Baltimore, Maryland, US (minutes)
- CGITWG May 2012 WGM Agenda Vancouver, Canada (minutes)
- CGITWG Jan 2012 WGM Agenda San Antonio (minutes)
- ICTC Sept 2011 WGM Agenda San Diego (minutes)
- ICTC May 2011 WGM Agenda Orlando (minutes)
- ICTC Jan 2011 WGM Agenda Sydney, Australia (minutes)
- ICTC Oct 2010 WGM Agenda Cambridge (minutes)
- ICTC May 2010 WGM Agenda Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (minutes)
- ICTC Jan 2010 WGM Agenda Phoenix (minutes)
- ICTC Sep 2009 WGM Agenda Atlanta (minutes)
- ICTC May 2009 WGM Agenda Kyoto, Japan (minutes)
- ICTC Jan 2009 WGM Agenda Orlando (minutes)
- ICTC Sept 2008 WGM Agenda Vancouver, Canada (minutes)
- ICTC May 2008 WGM Agenda Phoenix (minutes)
- ICTC Jan 2008 WGM Agenda San Antonio (minutes)
- ICTC Sept 2007 WGM agenda Atlanta
- Implementation May 2007 WGM agenda
- we have started maintaining the agendas within the Wiki with the Cologne mtg 05/2007!
- Jan 2007 WGM Agenda and Lunch
Conference Call Agenda and Minutes
- Conformance ConCalls 2016
- IC concalls 2015
- IC concalls 2014
- IC concalls 2013
- IC concalls 2012
- IC concalls 2011
- IC concalls 2010
- IC concalls 2009
- IC concalls 2008
- IC concalls 2007
- IC concalls 2006
New Wiki Page
The following links are provided for convenience but should not be used any more!