20130327 FGB concall

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HL7 TSC FGB Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
GoToMeeting ID: 489-406-709

Date: 2013-03-27
Time: 5:00 PM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Ron Parker Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Quorum = Chair plus 2 yes
Chair/CTO Members Members
x Ron Parker x George (Woody) Beeler x Ewout Kramer
x John Quinn x Grahame Grieve
observers/guests x Austin Kreisler
x Lynn Laakso, scribe
x Sharon Chaplock, HL7 Education Director

Agenda

  • Roll call -
  • Agenda Review
  • Approve minutes of 20130320 FGB concall
  • Education
    • Discuss tutorial and education work plan for coordination with HL7 Education Director
  • Action Item review:
  • FMG update -
  • Methodology update-
  • Review precepts, associated governance points and risks
  • HL7/IHE/DICOM coordination (John)
  • Next steps: Define and Resource other Governance processes.
    1. Conformity Assessment
    2. Appeal Process / Escalation
      • What is the appeal process for resources not chosen for inclusion in the ballot?
      • What is the appeal / escalation process for Management decisions?
      • What is the appeal / escalation process for Governance decisions? Responsibilities for resources (education, conformity process, appeal process)


Minutes

Convened at 5:07 PM

  • Agenda Review
  • Approve minutes of 20130320 FGB concall - no quorum; discussion notes reviewed. Approve minutes of 20130313 FGB concall - Woody moves and Ewout seconds approval; unanimously approved.
  • Education
    • Discuss tutorial and education work plan for coordination with HL7 Education Director
    • From discussion of 20130313 FGB concall. Ensuring product family has sufficient resources for those that educate and those that receive education.
    • Some education in connectathons needs to be pulled out and identified. Maybe a slide show walkthrough to be posted.
    • Not discounting traditional tutorials
    • FHIR still evolving and yet to go DSTU publication expected early 2014. Market space will also change and need to adapt.
    • Woody notes we need to sustain ground level technical overview to get involved as well as market-orientation view for what it is and how it relates to other efforts in HL7
    • Role of product director and conscious segmentation discussed by Ron for marketing, promotion, as well as education perspective.
    • What does Sharon need from the FGB to develop such a plan? Methodology for establishing tutorials for WGM are available.
    • Sharon notes we might need to have a f2f to talk about the methodology. There was a survey of learners in general for what they are looking for in methods. Self-paced courses, engaging SMEs to define objectives, CMEs or CEUs all considerations. Timelines are important to understand appropriate approaches.
    • Ron suggests we create action item for core things of education, specific topics, what to accomplish, nature of the audience, to what degree the audience is internal vs external to the membership, consider tutorial model versus webinar, self paced or SME-led. Temporal component (this is what we know now) versus more persistent information of an introduction (stable). May be standing agenda item for FGB item for review of education plans, criteria, audiences. Sharon's group might figure out the appropriate vehicle. Need to schedule a quarter on this topic.
    • Ewout notes that we should circumscribe what HL7 is responsible for in an open standard. What do we leave to the market as well? Ron agrees we must evaluate the role of HL7 as steward and custodian of the standard versus what we allow the market to do. We don't have a feel for what that dividing line is, yet. Concern is maintaining coherence and consistency, protecting the brand and product family. Application of the standard is something we could leave to the market. Need to ensure the view of the product is protected but the use of the product is up to the market. Just the declaration of this approach might be enough to stimulate activity in the market place.
    • Austin notes that generating income is more important to the HL7 organization now. Grahame asks if HL7 income is a known factor or we just think it might be. Austin senses that such education is perceived as an opportunity for revenue and membership benefit. Grahame clarifies that such revenues from non-members then subsidizes benefits to members.
    • Cost of producing education must be considered as well. Ron notes we would look to Sharon to help develop the value proposition for such investment in training if HL7 takes on that approach.
    • Cochairs often have meeting conflicts to taking tutorials during a WGM.
    • Grahame notes that presentation materials have been made available under creative commons. Presenters have given their time freely and may seek to recover costs by providing training. If HL7 conducts training it will cannibalize project resources.
    • Austin notes that the general FHIR exception for IP makes it a different case than for other HL7 standards education.
    • Woody notes that the HL7 presenter fee is not very glamorous and creation of the presentation is not compensated. Ron asks what the models are currently. Sharon notes other education programs have budgets to pay honoraria for presenters. Discussion on past experience with HL7 paying versus receiving gratis the creation of a presentation we didn't already have.
    • Ron notes the business model, product-like approach to the market will require more consideration going forward. Consistency and coherence of the product as a brand provides some structure if we adopt that premise for HL7 education focus.
    • Ron notes that use of assets of the organization to develop these resources needs to be balanced against project resources and development of other standards education.
    • Ron will aim to discuss criteria and work through some details to provide to Sharon in three weeks, three weeks before the WGM and then be prepared to have a workshop session at the WGM.
  • Action Item review:
    • Ron takes an action item to talk to Charlie Mead about a diagram to represent the relationships if risks link to mitigations and the mitigations link to governance points, suggests a model with no more than five classes including risks, governance points, mitigations, and management. Ron notes that Charlie has lost sponsorship for travel but we need to proceed without him.
    • FGB needs to look at the document for populating the remaining columns on the spreadsheet like impact/likelihood, type and walk through it on the next call. Woody, Lynn, Grahame are out next week. Need to adjust the calendar.
  • FMG update - spreadsheet was introduced to FMG this week and asked them to take a look at it for comments on risks, mitigations, additions and corrections.
  • Ewout addresses update on HIMSS presentation (this was obtained), and a server for DSTU. John notes there are other requests for Europe for HL7 IP on mobile apps and so the HL7 web server would have to authenticate membership to the app, and so this may be another service that the HL7 internet service would provide. Might be a benefit of membership to be able to sell an app that provides access to HL7 IP, accessing the online membership database. Grahame clarifies that HL7 may not need to host it on their server but more of a DNS resolution to wherever the technical resources will come from. E.g. Amazon server costs Grahame $30/month so technical resources are not so much the issue but the arrangement of what HL7 will provide in terms of the DSTU. Ron suggests we add this to a master list of issues on a timeline for FHIR DSTU. He notes ArB is working on a three year plan of issues and we need to do that here also. This also feeds into a vitality assessment with a periodically recurring trigger
  • Methodology update- no update
  • Dennis G and Ron have FHIR webinar next week in Canada as emerging standard and he'll let us know how it goes in two weeks. Ewout suggests he also look at the material he used at the HL7 UK session.
  • HL7/IHE/DICOM coordination (John) when and if they will ballot something in HL7 is the current dialog.
  • Another member for the FGB to be discussed to assist with quorum.

Adjourned 6:03 PM

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items


Back to FHIR_Governance_Board

© 2013 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.