20150720 FGB concall

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HL7 TSC FGB Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
GoToMeeting ID: 136-494-157

Date: 2015-07-20
Time: 4:00 PM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Note taker(s): Anne W.
Quorum = Chair plus 2 yes/no
Co-Chair/CTO Members
Woody Beeler Lorraine Constable x Grahame Grieve David Hay
x Dave Shaver x Ewout Kramer Cecil Lynch (ArB) x Lloyd McKenzie (FMG)
John Quinn x Calvin Beebe .
observers/guests Austin Kreisler
Anne W., scribe


  • Roll call -
  • Agenda Review
  • Approve minutes of 20150706 FGB concall
  • Action Item Review:
    • Lorraine to follow up with HTA to ensure that FHIR is represented during discussion on preferred value sets
    • Grahame to research MedicationPrescription to look for workable compromise for volatility issue
    • Group to review precepts document for suggested revisions
    • Lloyd to forward DSTU numbering policy revision request to FGB when document is ready
    • FHIR.org discrepency to be discussed at Board retreat
  • Discussion Topics:
    • Selection of terminologies/preferred value sets
  • FMG update -
  • Methodology update-
  • Review precepts, associated governance points and risks
  • Next steps: Define and Resource other Governance processes.


  • Convened at 4:05 pm Eastern
  • MOTION to approve 7/6 minutes by Lloyd; second by Grahame. VOTE: all in favor (4/0/0)
  • Action items:
    • MedicationPrescription/Grahame: pending
    • DSTU numbering/Lloyd: pending
    • Precepts/all: will discuss
  • Preferred terminologies/value sets: Currently have a policy in FHIR spec that we will not make any value sets required or extensible that have encumbrances on the IP. SNOMED in particular should be example value sets. Some value sets include SNOMED as preferred or required. CPT is fully encumbered and may give Grahame a license for development. We can deal with encumbered technologies but we don't want to make them required. 1) Group of people at HTA who think they should make rulings about this for all specifications; Grahame is against this. Agrees there should be consistent understanding but FHIR policy doesn't have to be the same as CDA or V2. 2) We have to have example value sets, but making them preferred is making a recommendation. Lloyd: license of SNOMED appears to prevent data that has been authored by a licensed system from propagating through unlicensed systems. That is a concern in terms of us categorizing it as recommended. The essential question is do we want to develop specific policy around the characteristics that terminology licenses would have to have? LOINC has a license, so you could argue that it is encumbered, but the terms are such that you can accept or retransmit the data without paying for a license. So what we need to do here is determine a policy on what we will accept in terms of level of encumbrance. HTA should be involved in the discussion, but as far as what the rules for FHIR should be is an FGB discussion. Once we figure out what we think the rules should be, we can run them past HTA. Calvin: we need the International affiliates to speak up about this - hear from the groups that don't have a license. For CDA, we don't buy into a particular vocabulary - it's only in the US realm IGs that we do. We can do it because we have IGs for different realms, but with FHIR that's not the case. Must be careful with bindings. Lloyd: I'd like us to develop draft guidelines for license terms and seek review from HTA, the affiliates' council and perhaps also the TSC. With feedback from those groups we can draft a final policy. Grahame suggests deferring resolution of this issue until after DSTU 2. Calvin suggests collecting information at this stage and meeting with international affiliates in October. Lloyd will put together a draft policy at some point that we can discuss after DSTU 2 is out.
  • Methodology: starting to work through methodology-specific FHIR items.
  • Grahame: we need to put out a last call for DSTU 2 changes. FMG will discuss last call this week.
  • Precepts document: discussion over delaying resolution on it until after DSTU 2 since it doesn't have an immediate impact. Concern that we'll never get it done. Decision to push this off until September.
  • Issue on breaking changes/change control - need to flesh out the policy and processes. Should present at Monday night meeting in October. Will take this back up in September.

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

Back to FHIR_Governance_Board

© 2014 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.