This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here

20130922 FGB WGM

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HL7 TSC FGB Meeting Minutes

Location: Paul Revere C

Date: 2013-09-22
Time: 12:30 PM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Ron Parker Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Quorum = Chair plus 2 yes
Chair/CTO Members Members
x Ron Parker George (Woody) Beeler x Ewout Kramer
John Quinn x Grahame Grieve
observers/guests x Lloyd McKenzie
x Lynn Laakso, scribe
x Brian Pech,

Agenda

  • Roll call -
  • Agenda Review
  • Approve minutes of 20130903 FGB concall, notes of 20130917 FGB concall
  • Action Item review:
    • FGB should put something together for elevator pitch and John puts it into his CTO report to the Board
    • Ron will schedule Woody, Grahame, Ron, and Austin/John to be on a call to evaluate policy assertions with conformity to ISO Datatypes
    • Ron develop precepts from the risks (conformity assessments, appeal processes, composition of FMG)
    • Ron will address immediate need for "BAM-lite" with ArB.
    • Ron will follow up with John to establish a protocol for FGB chair representation in external stakeholder relationships wrt FHIR.
  • FMG update -
    • Relationship to hData and where hData is "sustained".
    • Product management/coherence issue similar to CDS vMR issues
  • Should there be FMG measurement of the customer response? What statuses should FGB expect regularly?
  • Methodology update-
  • Next steps: Define and Resource other Governance processes.
    1. FGB composition to support DSTU adoption customer base
    2. Extract policy assertions and decision criteria from management decisions related to connectathon registration
    3. criteria for seeking policy assertions,
    4. escalation points on risk items triggering governance action


Minutes

Convened at 12:54 PM

  • Agenda Review - add issue from connectathon from Grahame, add connectathon planning? Need strategy for connectathon commercial applicability.
    • Grahame noted this to Chuck when FHIR started that connectathons could become commercial opportunity. What makes the most sense in considering the outcome for the specification. Connectathon is developer focused but value of specification increases with adoption. IHE Connectathon costs $25k, though AUS connectathon is 1/10th. Connectathon both tests the spec and entices interest.
    • Ewout suggests if major problems arise you can't fix on the fly during connectathon. A half day jump start followed by dinner would be a desirable service. CCDA connectathon seems inevitable. Risk of inflation of expectations by Halamka's presentation tomorrow anticipated. Grahame is meeting with Chuck and Halamka this afternoon. Scope of FHIR to cover PHR vs CCDA (1).
  • Formal nomination of candidates for FMG - three candidates: looked at perspectives of coverage of representation, useful perspectives and can we work with them. Bringing in new participants with whom no prior working relationship exists we may not want to bring in more than one at a time. Josh Mandel, a connectathon participant, a clinician, and has technical skills and implementation experience. Paul Knapp has extensive background. Lavanian, chair of HL7 India did not initially send a bio but having received one it includes senior clinician and informatician level experience. Grahame notes that the FGB needs to remain small for individual accountability, and in conjunction with FMG need to establish an implementers' council at which such external perspectives can be harvested. However the management group should still be cautious to which unfamiliar candidates are escalated to a management role and managing 'us' (the core group). Lack of participation on listserv, calls, connectathon is troubling and demonstration of capabilities in that capacity is needed.
    • Size of FGB discussed, having stakeholder representation on the Board versus an implementers' council that facilitates feedback between implementers to the governance board members.
    • Different set of challenges in a year when the infrastructure is put to bed and the domain content is the focus.
    • Ewout notes that his focus on developer support is increasing this coming year. Those that want to gain insight versus those that want to come and 'jam' versus those that want to prove their own work. Movement of the development of the library to the application of the library has emerged and needs some support. Ron notes we may need to compartmentalize in FMG to manage these components. Lloyd notes the management of super-rapid growth is at issue. Need to prioritize among the efforts and project what the next year will look like notes Ron. Lloyd doesn't feel we need to do primary focus on implementer community; more need for profiling and definition of extensions and policy on when and when not to use extensions. CCDA profiling for FHIR needs to happen in the domain committees responsible for the resources, Lloyd feels. However like SDWG relationship to domain committees in developing IGs is similar as FHIR had with PC, and you can't just move the work without moving representation.
    • Grahame moves recommendation of Josh Mandel and Paul Knapp be forwarded to TSC, seconded by Ewout. Brian asks if Josh has had his organizational membership issues fixed. He is now a named voting member of his organization. Unanimously approved.
    • Grahame further moves the FMG develop process by which candidate can demonstrate participation and opportunity to contribute before participation in FMG, and reach out to Dr Lavanian to address. Ewout seconds. Unanimously approved.
  • Terms for appointments, and staggering terms for re-affirmation, needs to be addressed this week, probably Friday.
  • Meeting for Tuesday Q1 keep for now and core team will work on ballot session.
  • Report for TSC - how did the ballot go, connectathon go, etc. Connectathon was great, participation was broad and effective, could be bigger. 823 ballot comments so far and some connectathon comments. Most typical area of comments is devices, another resource will be added due to IHE comments, stuff on vocabulary and OO. Lloyd will present to the TSC tonight, not precisely at 5:15pm. Ron will present on FGB.
  • For tomorrow: need to address vitality concerns and membership model. FHIR has opportunity to re-energize vendor participation in HL7 but anxious about setting expectations. Need to re-connect implementers with the organization, but it has already energized the organization. We need a place for "the suits" notes Grahame, namely the implementers' council.
  • FYI from Ewout, January Connectathon will be bigger, location has moved, Grahame and David will not be available.


Adjourned 1:45PM


Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items


Back to FHIR_Governance_Board

© 2013 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.