20130626 FMG concall

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HL7 TSC FMG Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/450662277

Date: 2013-06-26
Time: 1:00 PM U.S. Eastern
Chair: Lloyd Note taker(s):
Quorum = chair + 4 yes/no
Co chairs x Hugh Glover x Lloyd McKenzie
ex-officio x Ron Parker, FGB Chair . John Quinn, CTO
Members Members Observers/Guests
x Lorraine Constable John Moehrke x Lynn Laakso, scribe
Jean Duteau regrets Brian Pech regrets Austin Kreisler
x David Hay
.

Agenda

  • Roll Call
  • Agenda Check
  • Minutes from 20130617_FMG_concall
  • Administrative
    • Action items
      • Ron will be speaking further with Austin and the FGB on the FHIR WG concept in T3SD vs FTSD and a narrative definition clarifying scope vs. other WGs.
  • Reports
    • Connectathon management (David/Brian)
      1. Have a session with RIMBAA for people who had things they want to show off (probably based on what they did at the connectathon)
      2. Have a different session that has some elements of tutorial and some of showcase but is focused on building systems with FHIR rather than building resources
    • FGB
      • FGB is still assembling procedure and policy around Resource Contribution Policy, but identified a suggestion for FMG to only grant SVN access to those with a formal role within HL7 unless further discussion is pursued. As a result, this would necessitate assessment of the logins already in place.
      • Formal role = what, exactly? Co-chair? Facilitator? Member? See email attachment list of people with gForge access right now. Everyone has commit access except for those noted as observers.
    • MnM –
    • FMG Liaisons
  • Process management
  • AOB (Any Other Business)

Minutes

Convened at 1:04 PM

  • Agenda Check; Ron would like to show the narrative on the FHIR WG proposal. Hugh moves and Lorraine seconds the agenda. Unanimously approved
  • Minutes from 20130617_FMG_concall David moves and Hugh seconds approval. Lorraine abstains, passes 3/0/1
  • Administrative
    • Action items
      • Ron will be speaking further with Austin and the FGB on the FHIR WG concept in T3SD vs FTSD and a narrative definition clarifying scope vs. other WGs.
      • Ron shows his proposal for "normalizing' the FMG within the HL7 Org Structure.
      • Lloyd notes that FMG is a closed body and has oversight responsibility for other WGs. Lorraine agrees that FMG has more explicit clout than publishing.
      • Lloyd feels we should not conflate the management group and work group terminology
      • Hugh notes the FMG role in governance as directed downward from TSC and FGB is different. Adding upward reporting from FMG through Steering Division creates a tangle of control lines.
      • Coordination of various management groups and governance boards for various product lines has been discussed, reporting to TSC with different quality metrics.
      • Ron notes that TSC chartered FMG absent other authority. TSC would not find all product family groups reporting to them a workable solution. While a steering division focused on coherence across product lines might be an appropriate reporting line, the management groups are focused on execution within the product family and not necessarily addressing the larger issue.
      • Open vs. closed group discussed. Assurances of representation and committed participation are pros from Lloyd. Hugh notes you review the composition WRT representation and participation and make changes over time, including the ability to throw people off the group. Lorraine notes the selection of the composition of the members was important to the formation of the group like ArB. Lloyd adds you have to approach those that volunteer with a grain of salt, as the management function doesn't do the glamorous stuff. While we would strive to be transparent you have closed decision making.
      • Ron asks if there is anything inconsistent with an ANSI accredited consensus based SDO. Hugh notes the construction of content is the same as any other standard. Lloyd notes in 5 years he expects governance boards appointed for each product line reporting to the TSC with WGs providing content to product lines and no "core team" any more. There will be more responsibility with management groups to manage the asset when development is delegated beyond the core group. Evaluation of who can own the asset when the Work Group isn't positioned to develop the asset will be difficult when there isn't a core group.
      • Ron imagines a precept that shall be ongoing capacity and capability to create and sustain FHIR assets. FMG would measure against this for the organization.
      • Ron will take this back to Austin and FGB. Regard for FMG as a regular WG is to be avoided, but some form is needed.
  • Reports
    • Connectathon management (David/Brian)
      1. Have a session with RIMBAA for people who had things they want to show off (probably based on what they did at the connectathon)
      2. Have a different session that has some elements of tutorial and some of showcase but is focused on building systems with FHIR rather than building resources
      • short presentations suitable for Tooling Tuesday.
      • not really prepared yet for showcase environment
      • Hugh notes hearing the phrase 'not ready for prime time', and putting on examples of how it's already being used to build things for real to show where it's at.
      • David suggests it might be post-DSTU for best impact. Lloyd agrees it should be discussed after the DSTU, after this WGM cycle.
    • FGB
      • FGB is still assembling procedure and policy around Resource Contribution Policy, but identified a suggestion for FMG to only grant SVN access to those with a formal role within HL7 unless further discussion is pursued. As a result, this would necessitate assessment of the logins already in place.
      • Formal role = what, exactly? Co-chair? Facilitator? Member? See email attachment list of people with gForge access right now. Everyone has commit access except for those noted as observers.
      • Grahame's discussion included "A simple discriminator is that if someone holds a formal role in Hl7, we can be sure that they are not making an external contribution. (yes, there'll need to be policy to back that up). If someone doesn't, then discussion is needed. That means that formal role includes co-chairs, facilitators, and members of board or tsc appointed committees, but not general members."
      • Lloyd suggests FGB create a page or two on what it means to own or contribute IP and have committers sign off on what their responsibilities are. Ron agrees.
      • Hugh describes another level of access for those who can put the published version out there.
      • Lorraine clarifies discussion on member benefits and the no cost IP. Policy mechanism can also address this.
      • Lynn will send to FGB. FGB will make policy assertions and FMG will ensure execution.
    • MnM – still hasn't figured out a meeting time.
    • FMG Liaisons – email to PA, has not met with quorum since issue raised. May have quorum tomorrow; where Hugh will attend. Lloyd has reservations about attending with perception that FMG is being heavy-handed. He'll wait for Hugh to skype him if needed.
      • Content readiness in other WGs? Hugh has concern about Pharmacy due to his workload with day-job client. Right now he's downgraded priority on resource proposals review to complete ballot material. David offers to help with updating spreadsheets with version and updating examples with labels etc. Lorraine also reports slow progress for OO towards July 8th. Lloyd will try to give Hugh's and Lorraine's resource proposal review assignments a quick once-over.
  • Process management
    • Ballot Planning

Adjourned 1:58 PM

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items



Back to FHIR_Management_Group

© 2013 Health Level Seven® International