20121128 FGB concall notes

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HL7 TSC FGB Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
GoToMeeting ID: 489-406-709

Date: 2012-11-28
Time: 5:00 PM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Ron Parker Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Quorum = Chair plus 2 yes
Chair/CTO Members Members
x Ron Parker x George (Woody) Beeler x Ewout Kramer
x John Quinn Grahame Grieve
observers/guests x Austin Kreisler
Lynn Laakso, scribe

Agenda

  • Roll call -
  • Agenda Review
  • Approve minutes of 20121114 FGB concall notes
  • FMG update -
  • Methodology update-
    • Woody to develop a project to define deadlines, resources, etc related to MnM
  • Review Ron's draft precept document, associated governance points and risks
  • What resources need to be in the next ballot.
  • Stakeholder communication about FHIR
  • Next steps: Responsibilities for resources (education, conformity process, appeal process, vitality)


Minutes

  • Roll call -
  • Agenda Review
  • Approve minutes of 20121114 FGB concall notes Woody moves and Ewout seconds. Unanimously approved
  • FMG update -
    • Review of 20121126 FMG concall - focus will be on XDS for connectathon.
    • John joins
    • How to describe use of resources to stakeholders. John notes it needs to be uniformly documented, and available. Avoiding duplication with IHE discussed.
    • What governance point do we need to provide to the FMG, to understand what is acceptable behavior. Within context of a demonstration, we understand what we do and what they (IHE) do. We presume they provide contextualizing documentation for developers to use, and they identify requirements for HL7 to develop. Also need these conversations with OMG and other groups.
    • Other progress in FMG is excellent.
  • Methodology update-
    • Woody to develop a project to define deadlines, resources, etc related to MnM
      • MnM already had a project for Ir4H, PI# 809 - they will update project dates and move forward.
      • Woody reviews Lloyd's draft FHIR_Guide_to_Designing_Resources
      • these need to trace back to precepts.
      • Ron states the responses to dialogue on listserv is source from where we need to harvest precepts
      • also need to harvest from FMG wiki.
  • Review Ron's draft precept document, associated governance points and risks
    • risks will be defined around management process with continuity, comprehensiveness and coherence, governance for product line, and methodology.
    • Ron shows his draft FHIR PL Precepts spreadsheet, working document for wiki principles
    • Austin addresses the priority - need to know which are critical
  • Stakeholder communication about FHIR
    • Ron gave a briefing in his coordinating committee for the community of stakeholders for Canada this past week. He described the FHIR effort as the trial for the product line management approach. He identified still a lack of an easy way to illustrate what FHIR is and what it does. It is readily understood by interface developers: the utility, relevance and quality attributes. Second line customers, those that need to understand how this will affect them, need better description. Ewout describes some folks, notably Rene Spronk, that recognize need for FHIR PR work. He recounts a description that FHIR caters to the mobile provision of services in the cloud etc. Ron describes richness of expression against the RIM to reduce redundant/overlapping representations of concepts. FHIR preprocesses the patterns to produce the simplest form possible. This has created confusion to differentiate when to use FHIR. He feels the wiki page is very understandable but still encounters challenges to understanding. He needs a better elevator pitch for non-technical people. Ewout recalls conversations at IHE.
    • Between now and January Austin recommends work with Rene's group to draft that message. ACTION ITEM: Ewout will address with Rene, and bring back a schedule to review their draft with us. Needs message on whether this is substitute for or supplement to V3. If a substitute, what is the migration strategy. It may be too early yet, but we need positioning statement for FHIR in the landscape. We need a DSTU!
    • We need to express the relevance of FHIR to a non-technical group (our second-line customers) as a value proposition to continue funding development by our first-line customers.
    • Ron asks John if he had this conversation with ONC yet - they are not interested yet. In using CDA as push paradigm, they are not seeking dynamic interoperability. John fears this will prevent adoption among vendors but Ron welcomes the reduced pressure. John notes the XDS data set for the NHIN may be their entry point. They may want to leverage the use by epSOS. Ewout finds the potential more for bottom up adoption through mobile developers.
  • WGM agenda - what are our sessions,
    • debrief from connectathon, governance issues around IHE participation in connectathon, management issues, etc.

Adjourned 6:04 PM EST

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • Ewout will address with Rene, and bring back a schedule to review their draft with us
  • Lynn will find out our meeting schedule for Phoenix for agenda planning.
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items
  • 20121205_FGB_concall_notes
  • What resources need to be in the next (or DSTU) ballot.
  • Next steps: Responsibilities for resources (education, conformity process, appeal process, vitality)
  • WGM agenda


Back to FHIR_Governance_Board

© 2012 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.