This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here

2012-10-04 Tooling Call

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Tooling Meeting Template

Meeting Information

HL7 Tooling Meeting Agenda/Minutes

Location: Phone: +1 770-657-9270;
Participant PassCode:586935#
GoToMeeting URL:
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/699884034

Date: 2012-10-04
Time: 10:00 am EDT
Facilitator: Jane Curry Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Attendee Name, Affiliation
. .
Woody Beeler, Beeler Consulting
x Wilfred Bonney, HL7 HQ
Joshua Carmody, HL7 HQ Tooling Administrator
x Dennis Cheung, eHealth Ontario
x Jane Curry, Co-Chair
Tim Ireland, NHS
x Lynn Laakso, HL7 HQ Tooling Support
x Brian Pech
x Abdul-Malik Shakir, Shakir Consulting
John Ritter, EHR
x Andy Stechishin, Co-chair
Michael van der Zel, co-chair
Quorum Requirements Met (co-chair plus 3 counting staff): yes

Agenda

Agenda Topics

  • Roll Call & Agenda Review
  • Approval of previous minutes from 2012-09-27 Tooling Call
  • Review action items -
  • Review EHRS FM Design deliverable for approval - see package
  • Review PI# 801 Tooling Strategy and Process Revision
    • Draft strategy document
    • Governance processes/risk assessment
    • tooling education and methodology
    • end-to-end display with the relationship of tools and their corresponding projects to the business strategies (on the one side) and the capability of expressing those project states and any other metrics in a dashboard like presentation on the other side for Tooling Dashboard
  • Other/New Business


Supporting Documents

Minutes

Minutes/Conclusions Reached:
Call to order 10:05 AM EDT

  • Roll Call & Agenda Review
  • Approval of previous minutes from 2012-09-27 Tooling Call Andy moves and Brian seconds approval; unanimously approved
  • Review action items -
    • Michael was going to take a look at the Tools and Resources page; need to look at it in scope of Communication Plan. Re-assign to Lynn. Same with 2294 on post-graduate certification. Also, updates to tooling documentation from Joshua's recommendations should be assigned to Lynn. Need by end of month a recommendation of what will be involved in planning coordinating implementation of the communication and documentation.
    • Woody not available to report on V3 Generator
  • Review EHRS FM Design deliverable for approval - see package
    • Andy is precluded from discussion or voting on the approval of the deliverables.
    • Postpone approval decision to next week to give Tooling members a chance to review.
  • Review PI# 801 Tooling Strategy and Process Revision
    • Draft strategy document
      • Andy had comments on the document. Metrics of tooling costs as an important consideration needs to surface costs to support tools dumped in our lap. Publishing has focused on decreasing operational costs and dependencies on resources. Staff (Don) has been enabled to assist WGs in producing higher quality materials rather than on getting material onto the website. He proposes that $[Run] may be negative in that case. Improving the work flow of the tasks that we need to do e.g. to produce our standards. Paid staff time to execute a process can be reduced by tooling.
      • Jane notes we have to factor both the costs and the benefits. Often the object of using tooling is focused on staff relief. The metric is a summary - need to make its parts explicit; which parts are estimates and which are actual, what can be drawn from other processes.
      • Tooling as membership benefit not yet explored. Not just time measures but quality assurance tools.
      • AMS notes that $[Donations] may also be "Income" from selling the tool or offering training. Intangibles of membership fees and the money saved are intangible. Not easily quantifiable but can be qualified.
      • Need to tie back to Strategic Initiatives on the benefits of a Tooling project.
      • Right hand side of tool use diagram in user community needs to provide conformance, e.g. MWB updates by NIST. HL7 also promotes use of tools built by others. Trifolia is similar kind of tool. Need to understand the tools well enough to promote them and identify their fit in our continuum of tool use. Probably part of the communication plan. Sparx EA may fit in the same category. Comparatively, Word and Excel or other software not promoted for the membership, they're just used. MWB and Trifolia are HL7-specific tools, notes AMS. Maybe we have a different category for tools not HL7-specific like Sparx EA, MS Visio. Need to organize by topics our recommendations back to John Quinn.
      • Need also to be prepared to evaluate based on product lines or platforms.
      • Risk assessment should involve cost/benefit analysis before undertaking projects if tooling is a mitigating strategy. Cost of tooling support should be part of decision making process for product lines (or Board decisions). Jane notes we may need risk assessment for our tools in addition to risk assessments for other efforts.
      • Brian notes that in reviewing V2 publishing, they're looking at adopting or recommending an open-source format, such as ODF. Jane notes that is consistent with prior tooling strategy. However, documentation of rationale for that strategy is missing. Andy notes that they're more principles than strategy. Jane thinks these references date back to 2003. Requirements, Configuration, and Release Management document needs updating.
    • Governance processes/risk assessment
      • EHR and MAX project processes help with John's observation #3, for governance focus.
      • Need state transitions for decisions and recommendations. Criteria for weighing cost/benefit need to include all types of costs and all types of benefits.
      • 3.d requires a predictable process so that potential donors/sponsors for confidence that their $$ will provide the value intended. This is also the case for collaborators, builders of tools of interest on the downstream side.
      • Tooling coordinators were recommended by Grahame for each tooling stack, and they will need to be related to product line management groups, and interact with their responsibilities or reporting to both Tooling and TSC. Divergence in tooling responsibilities (tool creation, coordination) must be made explicit.
      • AMS clarifies that Web site and wiki are Electronic Services. Jane notes the dividing line is blurred and will be further blurred in future. Tooling architecture needs to understand the interdependencies. They are also product-line agnostic, but collaboration tools. The HL7 community as a whole may be considered a product line notes Jane. We might consider "infrastructure" a product line or simply consider them separate. Wiki, Project Insight, GForge etc would be in that group.
      • Product lines will have relationships with WGs, and Tooling has relationship with product lines. Liaison roles may be evaluated to relate to product line. But Andy cautions we need still a liaison to ES for example. We may end up like ArB with designated representation from certain groups notes Jane. Tooling coordinators for product lines need to participate as members of Tooling.
    • end-to-end display with the relationship of tools and their corresponding projects to the business strategies (on the one side) and the capability of expressing those project states and any other metrics in a dashboard like presentation on the other side for Tooling Dashboard
      • We need to devise our states and metrics. Might want to use EA for this, notes Jane. AMS is very carefully *not* volunteering. Andy suggests we ask Michael.
  • Other/New Business
    • This time doesn't work well for Michael. Earlier is better for Michael, very difficult for others. AMS suggests the Tooling Strategy might need a separate, dedicated call. May need two Doodle polls, to work on Tooling Strategy and also for alternate time for regular call. Set up wiki space for sign up for Tooling Strategy document sections and send notice to list. Andy thinks we need to discuss more with Michael before we poll for a new time.
  1. Adjourned 11:05 AM EDT


Meeting Outcomes

Actions
  • Jane will work with Michael to discuss states and metrics.
  • Lynn will set up wiki space for sign up for Tooling Strategy document sections and send notice to list.
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

2012-10-11 Tooling Call


Return to Tooling


© 2012 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.