This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here

RIMBAA 200909 WGM Minutes

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Minutes of Monday Q4 Business-Icon.jpg Technical med.gif

  • Attendees:
    • Peter Hendler, KP (co-chair)
    • Amnon Shabo, IBM research
    • Davide Magni, ITAL TBS
    • Andy Stechishin, GPi
    • Luigi Sison, VA
    • Andrea Ceiner, ITAL TBS
    • Vassil Peytchev, Epic
    • Rene Spronk, Ringholm (co-chair, scribe)
  • Peter Hendler calls to order at 15:40
  • Motion to approve the agenda for the week (Andy/Rene, 7-0-0)
  • Motion to approve the minutes of the January 2009 WGM (see the HL7 website for the posted minutes). The WG didn't meet in Kyoto. (Rene/Amnon, 7-0-0)
  • Gunther Schadow has resigned as a RIMBAA co-chair.
    • Motion to appoint Rene as an interim RIMBAA co-chair (Andy/Amnon, 7-0-0).
  • Peter hands the gavel to Rene
  • Luigi leaves the meeting
  • Action item for Rene: inform HL7 HQ of the new interim co-chair. (done, 20090921)
  • Review and approve RIMBAA SWOT. Motion to approve the SWOT (Andy/Peter, 6-0-0)
  • Review RIMBAA in the HL7 Roadmap
  • Review the Work Group Health sheet created by the steering division
    • Action item for Rene: ask Wilfred (HL7 HQ) to create a project in HL7 Gforge that references the existing Java SIG repository. (done 20090921)
  • Announcement of European meeting, see Agenda for Amsterdam RIMBAA meeting Oct. 27th
    • Motion to designate the Oct. 27th meeting in Amsterdam as an out-of-cycle meeting of the RIMBAA WG (Andy/Peter, 6-0-0).
    • Action item for Rene: notify HL7 HQ of this decision.(done, 20090921)
  • Discussion of the goals of the RIMBAA WG:
    1. Marketing - Public exposure of successes (of v3 implementability and the RIM itself)
    2. Sharing of experiences and solutions
      • Document/describe (for all possible cell transitions) how those steps could be supported/achieved.
      • We focus on Patterns for Application Development. Guidance, no normative outcomes.
      • Reference Implementation (Java SIG materials, extend OHT?)
      • Outreach to RIMBAA implementers (especially those not present at RIMBAA meetings); publish reviews of existing RIMBAA implementations
    3. Education - for newbies to RIMBAA
    4. Standard Improvement
      • Identify issues in HL7 standards during the implementation process
      • Work with ITS WG on an RS XML ITS and the identification of CS-RS transition issues
      • Identify issues caused by the ‘interoperability mindset’ of the RIM
      • V3 constructs: Context Conduction, Update Mode, Object Versioning
      • Work on SAEAF
  • Discussion of the RIMBAA delivarables. Motion to approve the following two projects (Andy/Peter, 6-0-0)
    1. A set of harmonized whitepapers that detail the things one needs to be aware about when creating a RIMBAA implementation. Initial whitepaper: "ORM Approaches".
    2. Reference Implementation(s). Documentation of the reference implementation and the design process associated with these applications.
  • Action item for Peter/Rene: create project statements for these projects and bring those to the steering division for approval.
  • Motion to adjourn (Peter/Amnon, 6-0-0) at 17:07

Minutes of Tuesday Q4 Technical med.gif

  • Attendees:
    • Peter Hendler, KP (co-chair)
    • Andy Stechishin, GPi
    • Rene Spronk, Ringholm (co-chair, scribe)
    • Nick Radov, Axolotl
    • Davide Magni, ITAL TBS
    • Andrea ceiner, ITAL TBS
    • Amit Propat, Epic
    • Steve Fine, Cerner
    • John Timm, IBM Research
    • Dave Carlson, VHA
    • Robert Worden, Charteris
    • Mark Tucker, Regenstrief
    • Ravi Natarajan, NHS
  • Rene calls the meeting to order at 15:33
  • Rene/Peter briefly present the RIMBAA technology matrix.
  • Tool Presentation by Dave Carlson and John Timm.
    • Primary aim of the tool was to do (CDA-) model refinement in UML, serialize in schema, or back-out and generate MIF (required for publishing).
      • Templates can't yet be transformed back to MIF. Rik Smithies notes that templates can be expressed as RIM models and hence as MIF. Lots of template-discussions are still ongoing, there is no single way of expressing templates at this point in time.
    • Model driven framework for generating run time API, with clone names, with one or more templates validated, consume XML instances that deserialize into appropriate template.
    • UML-OCL template model (by standards creator, expressed as a UML Profile, annotations in EMF to express OCL constraints), transform to code generation model (EMF), code generation to create Runtime API in Java (inclusive of the OCL constraints), produce/consume/validate CDA instances.
    • Template model: is-a and has-a relationships between templates, given that one template (LIM, e.g. specialization of an IHE template) is a specialization of another template (LIM, e.g. IHE template) is a specialization of a RIM-derived model (CIM). Requires manual work to determine specialization hierarchy (based on textual requirements in CDA implementation guides)
    • John: generalizing this to all CIMs (not just the CDA model) is definitely possible. Requires additional work on the MIF to Ecore transformation code.
    • Link to the software:, the presentation is available at
  • Tool Presentation by Robert Worden presents a mapping tool; in preparation we asked him to focus on mapping of a proprietary database model to an RMIM.
    • Robert present why we need mapping at all. Mapping is easier than migrating. Publishing shareable [i.e. not hardcoded] mappings (e.g. v2-v3) is a good idea and drives adoption of v3.
    • Most mapping issues are related to the mapping of non-leaf concepts in XML. Map structure A to a semantic model, map B to the same model. Use an R-MIM format (MIF transformed to EMF) as the underlying semantic model.
    • The tool ultimately generates transformation classes (or XSLT).
      • Andrea: ItalTBS adds validation to these classes.
    • Robert demoes a mapping from a proprietary database structure to a CMET. Robert has no EMF for 'the RIM', only for R-MIMs. Would lead to a different type of mapping.
    • Tool can be found at: HL7 Homebase; Presentation Slides
  • Announcements
    1. out-of-cycle in Amsterdam on Oct.27 2009,
    2. request for speakers in Phoenix,
    3. announcement of joint meeting with ITS WG in Phoenix
  • Motion to adjourn (Peter/Andy) at 16:59