"The Unified Medical Schema (UMS), based on HL7 V3 and the Reference Information Model (RIM), is dbMotion’s data model that, with its vocabulary domain, forms the foundation for semantic interoperability."
It is a commercial product that provides a platform for building healthcare applications.
- From the RIMBAA 201105 Minutes Orlando:
- dbMotion (Assaf Halevy, founder of the company, see http://www.hl7.org/documentcenter/public/wg/java/dbMotionOrlandoMay2011.ppt for his presentation) - see also RIMBAA: dbMotion
- dbMotion is a RIM based integration platform used on a very large scale at U of PItt, Israel and elsewhere. Practical experience making RIMBAA work on a large scale for integrating disparate hospitals and facilities.
- This is an example of using the RIM as an (semantic) integration layer.
- DbMotion is used in Israel with nearly 4 million patients. It is also used at the University of Pittsburg Medical Center where various hospitals that use Cerner, Allscripts, Epic and other E.H.R.s are integrated with dbMotion. DbMotion has what is called a Unified Medical Schema. It was designed by Abdul Malik Shakir and it is like a universal RMIM or SMIRF that is a patient centric representation of the entries in a patient record. It is very close to the RIM but has had a few minor simplifications. For example, the place of birth is not represented as an entiry in a role, but was instead added as an attribute to the Person entity class. It is easily translatable to pure RIM.
- The RIM database is the central integration repository for all clinical systems.
- If you are in on E.H.R system, you have an extra little button from an extra listener. The button will indicate if there is other clinical information on the patient that you don't know about. You can then use the dbMotion viewer to see the information from the other systems, and optionally, you can choose to import the new information into your current E.H.R. System.
- Idea is to share without loosing control & ownership of data.
- Data is federated, distributed but centralized virtually. Hide this complexity for the user. The presenter calls this “Centributed”
- Each Clinical Data Repository of each node integrated will have only his own dataset, no duplication of data.
- Business layer will expose Business oriented Services. Standards based services and data IHE, CCD, etc.
- dbMotion is not an EHR-System, it doesnot create data.
- Often applications claim to be standard but are not. DBMotion shields / adapts those.
- dbMotion provides a SDK and a platform
- Also interesting is the use of SNOMED. All local codes are mapped to SNOMED. This way when the two local codes for example Warfarin and Coumadin, are found to be semantically the same, you can change your view to collapse all the medicaitons or observaitons that are semanically equivalent.