October 15, 2014 Education Telecon

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Attendees

  • Melva Peters (Chair) - HL7 Canada
  • Ken Chen (Scribe) - CHI
  • Mary Ann Boyle (HQ) - HL7 International
  • Damian Francois - Mount Sinai NY
  • Melissa Bundy - Lantana
  • Robert Campbell - East Carolina University
  • Ginny Virginia - NY Presbyterian

Meeting Agenda/Minutes

HL7 Learning Partner Proposal

  • Waiting for proposal from Rene Spronk.
  • Rene (Sept. 30) draft ready, pending review by potential educational partners. Will be submitted to Education after final tweaks.
  • October 1: no discussion - waiting for proposal from Rene
  • No information from Rene for this proposal
  • October 15: Issue will be deferred until information is received from Rene.

Tutorials

  • SAIF Webinar
    • will be recorded at the WGM
    • Feb 5, 2014: Ron's day job interfered with his available time to record. He is looking to reschedule but no word yet.
    • May 21, 2014: Ron still has not had the time to engage the SAIF Webinar
    • June 4: No updates since last conference call, Melva will continue to follow up
    • October 1, 2014: No update
Action item: Melva follow up with Lorraine again about SAIF Webinar

Tutorial Planning

  • Core tutorials on HL7 Standards, and have specialized tutorials alternated between WGM
  • Start with the January WGM tutorials
  • Rene Spronk has some draft stats on Education events that will be discussed in Chicago
  • Continue discussion of stats that would be useful
    • Education Offering Dashboard
      • This was an action item allocated to me during the WGM in Chicago. The usefulness of the various metrics probably merits additional discussion. Once there is agreement on a 'starter set of metrics' we'll have to create a mechanism to actually get hold of them.
    • Rene has created the statistics wiki page.
    • Number that Rene has on the wiki is not consistent to the actual numbers
  • Focus on HL7 HQ stats first and quality measures.
  • Location included in the statistic as may impact attendance/participation
Action: Education WG Members to review Wiki page for next teleconference
Action:  Education WG Members are asked to send suggestions for other stats or types of stat to capture

Discussion of Certification Exams and Ed Summits

  • v2 Workshop Project - no discussion
    • Patrick will join an Education teleconference to discuss further
    • October 1, 2014 - no discussion as Patrick not on call
    • October 15, 2014 - Melva has reached out to Patrick without response.
      • Diego has volunteers to take this on via email.
      • Damian would be interested in participate.
Action: Ginny to following up with Damien to help with wiki setup.
Action item: Melva will follow up with Patrick on this project - will suggest that we will either close the project or transfer the project to Diego (as Project Facilitator)

Updates to the Certification exams

  • Sharon has analyzed the certifications and will need to possibly revise the questions.
    • Sharon would like to create a taskforce to review the questions on the exams.
      • Qualifications needed to be on the taskforce:
        • The group will be comprised of volunteers from the tutorial speaker pool to review the certification exam
        • Must have attended/audit the actual tutorial
        • Must be approved by the Education Committee
    • Sharon is working on an outline for a plan and guidelines for updates to existing and also for developing FHIR into a Certification Exam
    • Will bring back more information after meeting with Melva, Sharon and Mary Ann in August
    • Discussion of planning item back writing session during January 2015 WGM
      • Difficult to pull in the resourses (SME) to find time to collaborate and focus on questions during WGM.
Action: Sharon has drafted the process and will continue to work on the planning of a group to review the material.
Action: Sharon will send new draft to the listserv.
  • October 15, 2014: Deferred to next meeting

MLM Certification

  • Suggestion from Virginia for a certification test for "Medical Logic Modules"====
    • Its very stable, self-contained, and people are hired as MLM developers. Several large EHR vendors use MLM as the way of programming custom CDS into their systems. We use it at NYP. A certification in this might look good on a resume
    • Discussion: need more details and consider how it fits with Arden Syntax WG
Action item: Ginny will reach out to the Arden Syntax WG Chair to collaborate with this certification test.
Action item: Ginny will try to invite them to the call.

Webinar Planning for 2015

  • Discussion of proposed webinar topics for 2015
    • Melva has sent out an email to the list
    • Sharon has received a comment request for FHIR tutorials
    • Melva created a wiki page for Webinars topics and would like ideas for next year.
    • Karen comments based on case studies as topics
    • Sharon needs items/brainstorming on ideas.
  • Creation of policy webinars in development for 2015
    • Possibly having case studies
    • Implementation case studies
      • Taking this to the Co-chairs for feedback and looking for ideas
  • FHIR webinar are being developed currently.
  • Melva has sent an email to the Co-chairs for case studies and Sharon will include article/request in HL7 eNews
Action item: Sharon will ask International Council for webinar ideas
Action item: Melanie will reach out to the affiliates as well to determine if they might be willing to advertise webinars

Current resources and reading material

  • Will look at the list to determine how we can use it
    • Ken is still working on a the list. As soon as it is completed, we will place it as an agenda item.
    • Still compiling list but researching a possible open source library software called Koha. www.koha-community.org
    • Ken Chen is still working on the resource list. Koha software has become an option with the latest version.
    • Damian will be intested in helping.
Action: Ken will create the PSS for this resource list and present it to the WG

Transformation of Education WG

  • Continue discussion of how we can transform Education WG
    • Could consider transforming the Education WG to a Advisory Board.
  • Trend over many years has been Up and down with the collaboration between HQ and Education Committee.
  • Possible dissolve the Education WG and transform to a new entity.
  • No board appointed co-chairs for WG anymore.
  • Special topics for the WGM Luncheon to get more involvement.
  • Slide deck for special topic for the WGM and advertise ahead for more interest.
Action: Continue discussion with Education WG transformation.
Action:  Add agenda item to work on a slide deck for WGM to attract new members
Action:  Consider special topics for teleconference and invite via eNews, etc

AOB

Next meeting

  • Next meeting - October 29, 2014 at 11 am Eastern