MnM Project On Defining SAIF Artifacts
Discussion Notes from MnM Conference Call on August 27, 2010
This subject is being more fully covered under Category:SAIF Artifact Definition. Also, there is now a conference call scheduled for Fridays (at 11AM or Noon or 1PM) based on following email exchange on Feb 8, 2011:
- As I am in meetings today, as is John K. and we haven't gotten a lot of turnout on Tuesdays, I'm going to propose we do the Artifact Definition call this coming Friday (Feb. 11) at 12:00 Eastern.
- Also, future notifications with respect to these calls will be on the firstname.lastname@example.org list, not individual e-mails. So if you're interested in this project, please sign up to that list.
- OUCH - Noon Eastern on Friday is the day that MnM SWAPPED with Publishing Work Group last fall. I have a standing conflict as does Austin and perhaps several others who might want to participate.
Ultimately need MIF-definitions for new and modifications to existing definitions to align with SAIF
Artifacts of Interest
At SAIF Levels:
- CIM (Computationally Independent)
- PIM (Platform Independent) - Where M&M has its primary responsibility
- PSM (Platform specific) -
- Question: At what level does target paradigm (messages/documents/services) become critical?
- Suggest the CIM can be agnostic and the PSM MUST know its target.
- Indicates that distinctions begin to appear at PIM level (perhaps as sets of patterns)
- Question: - what is a platform?
- XML schemas, java objects,
- (services/documents/messages are a different dimension, not platforms)
- Objective: Allow HL7 to defer the paradigm representation as DEEP Iin the SAIF hierarchy) as possible for maximum re-use.
Scope of Project
Develop Artifact Definitions that satisfy all three levels, starting with what we know best. Candidates:
- Static Models
- Shared models (and consistency of Use)
- Begin chewing on Interactions
- (particularly as they do or do not reflect our current practice)
- (and as they apply to the "document" paradigm).