This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here

August 14, 2013 Education Telecon

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Attendees

  • Melva Peters (chair and scribe)
  • Rob Savage
  • Mike Henderson
  • Ken Chen
  • Dennis Cheung - Tooling
  • Patrick Loyd
  • Andy Stechishin - Tooling
  • Mary Ann (HQ)
  • Sharon (HQ)
  • Lynn L (HQ) - Tooling

Agenda

Tooling and Education Overlap

  • Tooling WG has been talking to Mohawk College in Hamilton, ON, Canada - looking at how they could collaborate - students get experience and HL7 International gets tools
    • they offer a course on how to write software
    • Sherbrooke University in Quebec is also interested
    • there may be others who are interested - e.g. Duke Universities
    • what is the process for engagement with Universities
      • unclear if the students might need HL7 education
      • in the early stages and haven't begun discussions to see what the Universities need from HL7 International
        • should engage with resources from Duke - what are some of the things that post - post-secondary institutions need/want (e.g. course packs) - perhaps widen the conversations
    • Education Strategic Plan includes engagement with post-secondary institutions - so this is a good way to start this work
      • asked Tooling to keep Education WG engaged and participating in conversations - Sharon Chaplock will participate for Education
    • Tooling will take the lead on this - there will likely be a PSS with Education as a co-sponsor

Project Review

Rewrite of Sample and Certification Exams - Project Scope Statement

  • Status - PSS has been created. Needs to be reviewed and approved - Patrick
Action: Patrick will forward the draft to the Education List - complete
Action: will need to discuss priority and resourcing before we approving the PSS
Action:  schedule time on the agenda in Cambridge

Tutorials

  • UML - Patrick
    • JD has submitted a second version which has been reviewed by Patrick -
    • JD is now developing slide deck and will submit to Patrick for review
Action: Patrick will touch base with JD - complete - JD is working on the slide deck.
Action: slot in for January 2014 WGM Tutorial Grid

Policy/Procedures

  • Document other policies and procedures - Patrick
  • Patrick requested that time be set aside on each conference call to discuss the roles and framework so that we can get some of this done
Action: Include as an agenda item for each Teleconference
Action: Set aside some time in Cambridge

Online Certification Testing

  • Status - Sharon
Action: Diego will be discussing with the Affiliates the impact of this
Action:  will discuss with International Council co-chairs

Action Items from Atlanta

  • Provide a list of types of educational delivery methods that we are able to offer - create a wiki page or 1 pager - Melva/Sharon
Action: Sharon to create the list - target by the end of July 2013 - done; Melva to post - still outstanding
Action:  Sharon to create more general information on the webinars and resources - 
  • Create a wishlist for webinars - send out to List serve and create wiki page to track - Melva/Sharon
Action:  Melva to create and send out - done - no responses as yet
Action: Melva to send out a reminder
Action:  Sharon to send list of Webinars based on survey - Complete
Action:  Melva to post
  • Talk to International Council - Webinar for HL7 Around the World - Melva
Action: Melva to talk to IC co-chairs
  • Certification Enhancement Project - Australia may be interested in starting up again - Melva to talk to Amy
Action: Melva to Followup with Amy
  • Create a dashboard of tutorials planned/held including numbers of attendees and numbers cancelled - Melva/Mary Ann
Action:  Mary Ann will update from May and January WGM
Action:  Melva to create a wiki page - done
Action - Mary Ann to send to Melva - complete 
Action:  Melva and Mary Ann to discuss further
  • Membership Committee - raise Education Portal for Universities as a membership benefit - Diego
Action:  Diego will raise this with Membership Committee

Discussion of adding other SDO content to our tutorials

Action: add to agenda for Cambridge WGM - complete 
Action:  Melva to followup with Mark

Education Portal

  • Status
    • Education Portal is now live - a few comments have been received that are positive
      • open to anyone - different rates for member/non-members
      • there will be a link from the main page (not there yet)
      • will be opened up to a wider audience next week as part of phased launch
      • officially announced at Plenary in Cambridge

Education Outreach - Kenya

  • Status - this is an outstanding task
  • No update
Action:  Diego to follow up with Kenyans about eLearning course

eLearning update (Diego)

  • New e-learning edition begins Aug 15th.
  • For the first time we have a steady flow of participants from Asia and Africa:
    • Africa 5
    • Asia 54
    • Europe 21
    • NorthAm 206
    • Oceania 30
    • South America 2
      • Some of the Asia participants were sponsored by WHO / Asia Pacific Region
    • Whole list of countries with people in the HL7 Fundamentals course:
    • Nigeria Africa 3
    • Tanzania, United Republic Africa 2
    • Bangladesh Asia 4
    • India Asia 20
    • Indonesia Asia 3
    • Nepal Asia 1
    • Philippines Asia 7
    • Saudi Arabia Asia 4
    • Singapore Asia 4
    • Sri Lanka Asia 3
    • Thailand Asia 3
    • United Arab Emirates Asia 2
    • Vietnam Asia 3
    • Bulgaria Europe 1
    • Denmark Europe 3
    • France Europe 1
    • Germany Europe 1
    • Iceland Europe 2
    • Netherlands Europe 1
    • Norway Europe 5
    • Poland Europe 1
    • Sweden Europe 1
    • United Kingdom Europe 5
    • Canada NorthAm 56
    • United States NorthAm 150
    • Australia Oceania 26
    • Fiji Oceania 2
    • New Zealand Oceania 2
    • Brazil SouthAm 1
    • Mexico SouthAm 1

SAIF Webinar

Action: Sharon will followup with Ron Parker and forward the webinar planning template to Patrick - complete
  • wants to do a recorded webinar
  • Ron will work with Patrick and Lorraine Constable on the Tutorial Specification
    • want this to be a free webinar

Webinar Planning for next year

Action: set a deadline date for planning 2014 Webinar Series - plan for part of a quarter in Cambridge - complete
Action: send ideas to Sharon and/or Melva - include on the wiki

Tutorial Planning for January 2014

Action: Mary Ann to start drafting and will forward out

AOB

  • none

Next meeting

  • Next teleconference - August 28, 2013 - at 12 noon Eastern