2017-09-10 SGB WGM Agenda

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

back to Standards Governance Board main page

HL7 SGB Minutes

Location: Portofino A

Date: 2017-09-10
Time: 1:30 PM
Facilitator Paul/Calvin Note taker(s) Anne
Attendee Name


x Calvin Beebe
x Lorraine Constable
Russ Hamm
x Tony Julian
x Paul Knapp
x Austin Kreisler
Wayne Kubick
x Thom Kuhn
Ken McCaslin
Rik Smithies
x Sandy Stuart
x Lorraine Constable
x Mary Kay McDaniel
x Rachel Foerster (observer)
x Scott Robertson (observer)


Quorum: Chair + 4

Agenda


Minutes

  • Agenda review/introductions. SGB (Paul) chairing. Several guests.
  • Discussion Topics
    • Scope/Charter between WG and Product Management
      • Paul describes WG vitality risks within organization. Publishing, Vocabulary, and EST are affected most, with WGs circumventing their processes. Their responsibility is in enforcing consistency across organization but there is not compliance. Calvin attended CIMI this morning, where they stated that there is no single data type being used anymore and implementers are going mad trying to map. CIMI, though is doing the same thing on the tooling. Product families by their nature have a different means of production of their standards – they’re not consistent with something else. Have to find a way to make it sustainable beyond individuals. Product families must have latitude but must have a framework as a guide. HL7 has to get buy-in organizationally for flexibility with constraints. Organization must be able to hold knowledgeable committees responsible for topics.
      • When you bring in a new family, they don’t fit within the existing publication models. What we are requiring is that we want to seek an organizational group that guides all the publications across all the families. It’s falling on us for rule-making and TSC for management. But Publishing doesn’t understand FHIR publication, for example. Haven’t set the precepts in place for the publication process and communicated that with Publishing.
      • Lorraine notes that the tools we provide WGs to get their work done are dated and we’re not supporting that well.
      • Need to determine a structure and follow it as we introduce these new product families.
      • Balloting is somewhat outside of this issue because we must follow ANSI rules without variance.
      • Within a framework of bottom up activities on some things, there are other aspects such as architecture that could be imposed. Could insist they choose from a subset of tools, etc. Without that subset and guidelines, groups go ahead and go every which way.
      • ACTION: Develop precept around how groups are to interact with the publishing, EST, Vocabulary, etc. WGs.
      • ACTION: Update the M&C boilerplate for management groups for how they implement the precepts
      • ACTION: Recommend to TSC to work with CTO on architecture and tooling strategy to support the work of the committees in following the precepts.
      • No clear boundaries between executive-down and membership-up perspectives. What comes up from the bottom up is transparent, but from top down is opaque. Need to strive to make sure we have a clear understanding of the rules of the game.
    • CIMI Product Family Management Group M&C Approval
      • Group reviews. Lorraine notes that coordinating with OO and MnM to avoid overlapping responsibility concerns should be generalized to say “other WGs, for example OO and MnM.”
      • The formal relationships section is at the board level. Can forward it as a request to go up to the board. Will discuss with TSC.
        • MOTION to approve and send to TSC for review: Lorraine/Thom
        • VOTE: All in favor
    • ISM
      • Will be circulating the ISM to the methodology and management groups. Need to include what the ask is of the groups.
      • Also need to take the list of products/sub-products and add it to the presentation
  • Adjourned at 3:00 pm


Meeting Outcomes

Actions

© 2017 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved