This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here
<meta name="googlebot" content="noindex">

20160816 US Realm SC Call

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

back to US_Realm_Steering_Committee
back to US_Realm_Steering_Committee_Conference_Calls

US Realm Steering Committee Call Agenda/Minutes

Location: 929-752-237 using VOIP

Date: 2016-07-26
Time: 1 PM Eastern
Co-Chairs Ed/Brett Note taker(s) Anne
Attendee / Name
x Calvin Beebe Keith Boone x Hans Buitendijk
x Lorraine Constable Johnathan Coleman x Ed Hammond
Tony Julian x Paul Knapp x Austin Kreisler
Regrets Brett Marquard Ken McCaslin Nancy Orvis
Brian Pech x Wayne Kubick Mark Roche
Sandra Stuart . Pat Van Dyke x Anne Wizauer
x Danielle Friend x Eric Haas . Jenni Syed
x Steve Posnak . David Susanto x Craig Parker
Christol Green . . Visitor / Name
x John Roberts x Martha Velezis x Bob Dieterle
no quorum definition




  • Update on subgroup reviewing current US Extensions


  • Called to order at 1:04 PM
  • Agenda review
    • No additions
  • Project today were marked as universal but are coming back for US realm review. Also questions over defining who should be sponsors and who should be interested parties. Wayne: Do we want to make it a principle that in order for it to be a universal realm project that there needs to be International representation on the project? Hans: That is already a requirement. Ed: Part of the responsibility should be that if there is international potential, the US Realm suggests that it should be universal and ask the WG to engage on an international level. Calvin: Sometimes the International people say it's an unworkable solution because you can't do any binding. Paul: if you have a place for the data to go and each jurisdiction binds it to local vocabulary, what is the issue? Calvin: They like to look at a working implementation before they generalize it.
  • Common Clinical Registry Framework DAM:
    • John Roberts provides overview. Project is a reaction to a MU registry incentive program. This is largely driven by US interest but isn't devoid of international interest. Asking US Realm to approve it as an International project even though it is largely US-based. Paul disagrees with the approach; the topic may be international, but the participation of people is from only one jurisdiction. Suggests mentioning it's an international topic but the project is covering how it affects the US realm. Hans agrees; says he's in full support of the project but it should be marked as US Realm but marked as future universal realm once international participation has been secured. Ed: We need to have a specific activity that opens the door to the universal activity.
      • MOTION to accept as US Realm, with indication in the PSS that international participation should be solicited to move it to universal: Hans/Lorraine
      • VOTE: all in favor
      • ACTION: Change 6b to US Realm and fix typo in 3.f (Learning Health is not part of a sentence)
  • EHR System Immunization Functional Profile R2
    • John provides overview. International community feels they have no need for this. PHER is not participating as a co-sponsor but would like to be an interested party. US immunization community is not interested. Driven by ONC and NIST and CDC IGs. Has all of the marks of being US Realm except for having support of immunization community in US (or internationally). Ed: What is the EHR WG adding to this that's missing from what's being done as part of PHER? What do we gain with this project? John: The one thing is it's in a form and style that people used to working with EHR functional models would expect. Not as immediately understandable to clinicians. Hans: need to engage with CDC on how we can get the appropriate implementation guides. Austin: we can insist that this is US Realm with PHER as a cosponsor and CDC involvement or we can ask them to recruit universal realm participation.
      • MOTION to not approve and request that the project sponsoring WG work with the PHER WG to make them a cosponsor and recruit the CDC, CRID, and AIRA to join as interested parties and work with HL7 leadership to get joint ownership with CDC: Austin/Hans
      • ACTION: Ed will coordinate with CDC
      • VOTE: all in favor
  • C-CDA R2.1 Guidance for UDI:
    • Martha/Robert here to represent. Robert describes project. Ed: this is an update of an existing standard that was realm specific. An activity is taking place simultaneously in Europe; they are proposing something different than what is proposed in this standard. Do we need more specific communication with them? Bob: The DAM is intended to be universal. There is representation from Europe that could be taken into account; because we're trying to add the additional elements into an existing US realm standard with MU3 and FDA requirements, it's hard to turn this particular PSS into an international solution. Paul: Why wouldn't it be universal? Bob: This is purely a PSS to update C-CDA R2.1 to meet MU and FDA requirements. Calvin: This is due to FDA requirements changing things in the base standard that was US realm. Paul: C-CDA is catching up with the harmonization pattern that all the other families have already caught up with, which is in alignment with the UDI specification. Ed: Are the two standards conflicting? If they are, we need to work through the conflict. Bob: This is only one very small part of the specification in the current UDI requirements.
      • MOTION to approve: Austin/Calvin
      • VOTE: all in favor
  • Adjourned at 1:43 pm Eastern

Meeting Outcomes

Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

© 2016 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved