20141203 PLA call
return to HL7 Product Line Architecture Meeting Minutes and Agendas
Return to HL7 Product Line Architecture Program
|HL7 PLA Call Minutes
Location: Phone: +1 770-657-9270, Participant Code: 985371,
|Facilitator||Mary Kay/ Austin||Note taker(s)||Anne|
|x||Mary Kay McDaniel|
|Morgan Opie, visitor|
|no quorum definition|
- Notes of 20141119_PLA_call review
- Continued review/creation of mission & charter, makeup, pros and cons
- notional division of products into product families and lines, to provide examples for peer review.
- Level of granularity
- Identify which pieces are orphaned, and the political elements to be surfaced.
- Positioning cross-product family artifacts (standards naming)
- BAM-lite feedback and review
- Governance on V2.x (v2.9 substantive changes)
- develop form to request establishing a Product Family
- Convened at 2:07
- Reviewed Tony’s updated governance organizational chart. Discussion over definition of product family and product line. Family has common process and methodology. Product family management is making sure activities follow the rules. In theory you could have one management group overseeing multiple families? Management will be a big job so each family should have its own management; methodology is likely to be assigned to existing domain groups, perhaps even for several methodologies – but with different hats on. How does a project relate to the two entities? When patient care is creating work product that is following the methodology of a given family, then they coordinate with the management and methodology group for that family, and that’s who determines support, coordination, formats. But isn’t that a methodology issue? Isn’t management the production of the product? The production of the product will be done by the WG and by publishing. What about the development of the product? Extended conversation regarding all of the various ways the drawing simplistic in terms of reality. Methodology and Management under governance board are roles; WGs can have task groups or special interest groups but report back to the WG; the WGs go back to the steering division; dotted lines are methodology and WGs can use more than one methodology. Need a definition of product as it relates to this activity. Is the product the outward facing view of a thing? It’s the finished good. So V2 standard is a product family? Families are internal and aligned on methodology, making the V2 standard a product family, published as a product. It’s a universe. Chapters are split across WGs. So you need product management function – and that is done by publishing. Have to separate product family methodology thinking from the products themselves. Methodology has to be central. Managing the production of the product isn’t the same as deciding to produce the product. Tony is updating the BAM and then will send it to the group for review on next week’s call.
|Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items|
© 2014 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserve