This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here
<meta name="googlebot" content="noindex">

20140915 FMG WGM

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HL7 TSC FMG Meeting Minutes


(voice and screen)

Date: 2014-09-15
Time: 12:30 PM U.S. Eastern
Chair: Lloyd Note taker(s):Lynn
Quorum = chair + 4 yes/no
Co chairs x David Hay x Lloyd McKenzie
ex-officio Woody Beeler,
Dave Shaver
FGB Co-chairs
. John Quinn, CTO
Members Members Members Observers/Guests
x Hans Buitendijk Hugh Glover x Paul Knapp x Lynn Laakso, scribe
x Josh Mandel x John Moehrke x Brian Pech
x Ewout Kramer (FGB) x Grahame Grieve, FGB x Viet Nguyen


  • Roll Call
  • Agenda Check
  • Metrics for DSTU
  • Engagement plans for WGs


  • Agenda Check - Viet would like to know where FHIR fits in to the interoperability showcase for HIMSS 2015; also Attachment BlueButton/FHIR on Q1 Weds. Lloyd suggests it be added to the wiki. Brian/Paul move approval of agenda, Unanimously approved
  • Review minutes of [[1]] - note that Lloyd rejoined the call. Hans moves and JohnM seconds approval. Unanimously approved
  • HIMSS and FHIR representation -
    • interoperability showcase had intermountain, main floor had smart apps running against FHIR servers Josh reports.
    • Josh notes ONC and VA have a project called privacy on FHIR which they intend to show in the interoperability showcase. JohnM notes that IHE usually plays a large part of the showcase and he feels they will label the pdqm work as FHIR.
    • They might want to have a specific space for FHIR. He adds that they need clinical workflows to demonstrate.
    • Lloyd asks what level of coordination should FMG have, and what would it mean to seek booth space separate from HL7? Perhaps a booth in the Interoperability Showcase for HL7 FHIR? Or offer a branding for those showcase participants using HL7 FHIR for placards and signage. Need to send a request to anyone who is using FHIR in their interoperability demo to use some kind of "HL7 on FHIR" branding and let Andrea know. Should liaise with Chuck who will then work with Joyce. John, Josh and Paul will work on a statement for review prior to going to Chuck/Andrea.
    • What about due diligence of those choosing to claim they use FHIR. We could ask if they had participated in a FHIR connectathon similar to the gold star the IHE connectathon used to issue. Lloyd suggests they submit a FHIR conformance resource.
    • There may be grades of participation? Differ between an "I (heart) FHIR" sticker versus an attestation of achieving some level of interoperability using FHIR. There is no conformance statement validation environment. The bar should be that your company has actually interoperated with another organization using FHIR notes Viet.
    • Grahame suggests we allow vendors to go off and coordinate with other vendors and bring it back. There is time before April 12-16.
  • Engagement plans for WGs
    • priorities for talking to WGs
      1. resource proposals / definition completion
      2. timeline for clearing backlog of change requests
      3. priority for addressing QA
      4. tooling for profiling for DSTU 2 using Excel
        • review webinar and potentially have a Q&A webinar in October.
    • Profiles: Every resource should have a profile that defines common extensions if they exist; WGs don't have to develop a proposal for this profile. It will also be included in the DSTU. These may be revealed by resource development or profile development.
      • IGs contain profiles which contain extensions. Widely used extensions might be referenced from a common questionnaire profile and the weird stuff is for example included in the SDC profile.
      • May not know the "bag" exists in December and may need to create one later.
      • FGB talked this morning about "Core" profiles: for things like Immunization, a profile on top of MedicationAdministration, we want it part of the FHIR spec, not published separately, similar to Nutrition.
        • Content must be developed by HL7 WG, agreed-upon coherent set of requirements, cross-realm, perceived longevity and stability. Must have a profile proposal which would be helpful to know at the time the profile proposal is submitted.
        • HL7-published is another set that are separate IGs such as "CCDA on FHIR".
      • Core, aka FHIR Spec, will be balloted irregularly. Resources have to all go out together and the profiles with them. HL7-published profiles can be separate, and would like to have FMG be aware of them but not required. CCDA on FHIR as part of DSTU R2 is of concern.
      • Within a ballot, resources can have different statuses e.g. DSTU ballot with some resources that are draft. How will they be distinguished in the ballot etc. This will be evaluated as with the method used for balloting "ConceptMap".
      • Do bring back any issues discovered in talking to WGs for the discussion on Friday.
  • Metrics for DSTU
    • Lloyd asks if Ewout had seen responses to the SurveyMonkey to indicate what sort of work they were doing - there have been no responses so this metric will not be useful.
    • Webmaster has provided ugly csv files with all hits on FHIR pages.
    • Feeds from implementers' and committers' chats could be mined for frequency of keyword occurrence.
    • Connectathon attendee participation would be another metric available.
    • How else will FMG obtain data? John notes that IHE does it by using their test bed, test scenarios. Other methods include tracking change proposals. Paul suggests that to bring a resource normative they need to expect people to register their use of it and bring it to a connectathon. John suggests he could share the IHE metrics with the FMG.
    • There may be a need for the metrics at the time of DSTU2 so we can have the feedback for the normative ballot down the road.
  • Grahame notes that he will be submitting a request for Nov 7 connectathon in AUS. Entry level Patient resource, SMART on FHIR (Josh). Josh moves and David seconds endorsement of the AUS connectathon Nov 7. Unanimously approved.
  • Lloyd reports that Canada will be holding a connectathon in April but still unofficial.
  • Viet asks about connectathons: do we offer disconnected connectathon? There is essentially a virtual connectathon running 24/7 with server availability. There is a plan for open source connectathon.

Adjourned 1:33 PM

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

Friday Q1

Back to FHIR_Management_Group

© 2014 Health Level Seven® International