V3 PubProcess - Generate MIF and Related Content
04...Generate MIF and Related Content
The HL7 V3 Generator is a tool whose primary purpose is to convert a set of domain and design content (frequently expressed in idiosyncratic xml formats, into a set of files expressed in the HL7 Model Interchange Format (MIF); and then to process the MIF files to create a supporting set of artifacts, such as static model schemas, table- and Excel- views of the static models, etc. This section covers the execution of the Generator processes.
This sub-step has no automated task. It involves establishing the "configuration" parameters for the V3 Generator in InputFiles/configuration.ext. This file is more or less self-documenting. For the purposes of the combined Pub-Gen tool suite, the default properties are just fine, except that "publicationId" should be set to something like "Ballot2010Sep".
04.20...Generate All MIF2
This process starts "from scratch" and builds MIF2 files for all common files (coremif), static models (in HMD or Visio XML form) and dynamic models (pubDb xml) that have been placed in the Generator. Preparation for this process may include:
- Introduction of new cmetInfoExport.txt, RIM.xml, Vocabulary.MIF and DEFN=VO=...coremif into the Generator/InputFiles/CommonSourceFiles. (This is, as yet, a manual process.)
- Resetting the Generator temporary and output files (see process 00.30...RESET Generator Environment above.
- Clearing the generator InputFiles/DynamicModelFiles and /VisioModelXmlFiles (see process 00.40...CLEAR Selected Generator InputFiles above.)
- Creating new generator dynamic model input from PubDbs (see process 02.10...PUBDB Extract above.)
- Updating InputFiles/DynamicModelFiles and /VisioModelXmlFiles from input sources (see process 02.40...POSITION Domain Source - XML and Visio above.)
NOTE: This process is part of 04.30...Generate All MIF and Schemas (below). If your intent is to generate schemas, use that process instead.
04.30...Generate All MIF and Schemas ="FULL Generator run - All MIFs and Schemas"
04.40...Generate Tables and Excel ="Process Excel and Table Views from Generator"
04.80...Distribute Generated Content="Causes Domain content copy for 'active' and 'support' domains to output dirs. (SOMEWHAT REDUNDANT TO -buildDomain)"
04.99...All Generator Targets ="All Generator Targets"
04.40...Generate Tables, Excel
04.60...Process QA on MIF
04.80 or 05.10...Distribute Generated Content
Distribute generated files to Publishing Process directory structure.