Specimen FHIR Resource Proposal
- 1 specimen
Owning committee name
Interested Work Groups
- Anatomic Pathology
- Clinical Genomics
- Imaging Integration
- Public Health and Emergency Response
FHIR Resource Development Project Insight ID
Scope of coverage
DEFINITION (SPECIMEN): Any material sample:
- taken from a biological entity, living or dead
- taken from a physical object or the environment
Biospecimen can contain one or more components including but not limited to cellular molecules, cells, tissues, organs, body fluids, embryos, and body excretory products (source: NCIt, modified).
The specimen resource covers substances used for diagnostic and environmental testing.
- Role: Specimen (RoleClass=SPM)
- Entity (player): Material (EntityClass="MAT")
- Entity (scoper): Choice - Person, Non-Human Living Subject, Material)
- Entity: Place (EntityClass="PLC")
Specimens are primarily of importance in healthcare for diagnostic testing and in public health for environmental testing. Because of the frequent biologic nature of specimens, they are uniquely identified. Additionally, specimens are tracked, transported, and stored, sometimes for years.
The Specimen resource is used by other resources such as the Diagnostic Report to record the entity that is being reported against. The Procedure resource may also reference a specimen removed during a procedure.
- HL7 v3 Laboratory Standard - Normative
- HL7 v2.x
- HL7 OO Specimen DAM Project
- A tumour excised from a patient during a procedure is sent for histological examination. It is referenced in the Procedure, DiagnosticOrder and the Diagnostic report.
- Proposal Approved by WG at May 2013 WGM
- Planned Ballot: September 2013
- Lorraine Constable
- Patrick Loyd