Observation FHIR Resource Proposal
Owning committee name
Interested Work Groups
FHIR Resource Development Project Insight ID
Scope of coverage
The observation resource covers simple as well as complex assertions and measurements made about a patient, device or other subject.
- ACT: Observation (ClassCode=OBS and descendants)
- ACT: Observation (Code=ObservationType)
Observations are a central element in healthcare, used to support diagnosis, monitor progress, determine baselines and patterns and even capture demographic characteristics. Fundamentally, observations are simple name/value pair assertions with little structure, though there are several resources such as DiagnosticReport to manage and represent rich aggregation patterns for observations. Expected uses for this resource include:
- Vital signs: temperature, blood pressure, respiration rate
- Laboratory Data and other Diagnostic Measures
- Measurements emitted by Devices
- Clinical assessments such as APGAR
- Personal characteristics: height, weight, eye-color
- Diagnoses (Note: track-able conditions, allergies, adverse reactions and more complex structures are handled elsewhere)
- Social history: tobacco use, family supports, cognitive status
- Core characteristics: pregnancy status, death assertion
- HL7 v3 Laboratory Standard - Normative
- HL7 v3 Other?
- HL7 v2.x
- HL7 OO Specimen DAM Project
- OrderResponse ?
- ImagingStudy ?
- Vote by WG (Ready for ballot): July 2013
- Ballot: September 2013
- Lorraine Constable
- Patrick Loyd