Observation FHIR Resource Proposal
Owning committee name
Interested Work Groups
FHIR Resource Development Project Insight ID
Scope of coverage
The observation resource covers simple assertions and measurements made about a patient, device or other subject.
The resource name as it appears in a RESTful URL is /observation/
- ACT: Observation (ClassCode=OBS and descendants)
- ACT: Observation (Code=ObservationType)
Observations are a central element in healthcare, used to support diagnosis, monitor progress, determine baselines and patterns and even capture demographic characteristics. Fundamentally, observations are simple name/value pair assertions with little structure, though there are several resources such as DiagnosticReport to manage and represent rich aggregation patterns for observations. Expected uses for this resource include:
- Vital signs: temperature, blood pressure, respiration rate
- Laboratory Data and other Diagnostic Measures
- Measurements emitted by Devices
- Clinical assessments such as APGAR
- Personal characteristics: height, weight, eye-color
- Diagnoses (Note: track-able conditions, allergies, adverse reactions and more complex structures are handled elsewhere)
- Social history: tobacco use, family supports, cognitive status
- Core characteristics: pregnancy status, death assertion
- HL7 v3 Laboratory Standard - Normative
- HL7 v3 Other?
- HL7 v2.x
- HL7 OO Specimen DAM Project
- OrderResponse ?
- ImagingStudy ?
- Vote by WG (Ready for ballot): July 2013
- Ballot: September 2013
- Lorraine Constable
- Patrick Loyd