This page is related to the AID/EST/Education/Publishing project of the same name.
To define the contents of 'Implementation Packages' for each of the product lines that consist of:
- HL7 standard publications,
- software processable expressions thereof that can be used for Education and source code generation, as well as
- other related implementation tools and toolkits. The package could be made available as a ZIP, or simply be a list of URLs on a webpage, the exact deliverable is to be determined.
Original PSS: File:HL7 AID-Implementation Packages-v0.2.docx
- Newbie implementers need a ‘starter kit’ – not just the standard itself. It lowers the hurdle towards implementation, which is one of the strategic initiatives.
- Education for v2 needs an ‘implementation package’ were all the specs and tooling for v2 are in.
Effectively FHIR is an ‘implementation package’. As an example, the HL7v2 Implementation Package could consist of the HL7v2 spec (in HTML) format, v2 examples, the HAPI/nHAPI toolkits, other relevant (open source) toolkits, the v2 XML schema, the v2 database (with definition of message structures).
Specific goals for this project:
- Definition of the contents of the Implementation Package for HL7 version 2
- Definition of the contents of the Implementation Package for CDA
Functional Requirements of an Implementation Package
From a functional perspective, irrespective of the standard for which an implementation package is defined, an implementation package should contain (by inclusion, or by reference):
- A human readable version of the standard, preferrably in an easily accessible and hyperlinked format.
- A software processable version of the core structures (e.g. information models) as defined in the standard, to e.g. serve as the basis for code generation.
- Multiple instance examples for all of the core structures as defined in the standard.
- Programming APIs which ease the software implementation process of the standard.
- Testing and simulation tools which ease the sofwtare development and testing process related to the standard.
- Whitepapers or other documentation of implementation best practices of the standard.
- Examples of (sofwtare processable) conformance profiles
- ? additional profile stuff / apps ?