HL7 Nurse Group Mission & Charter
The Tooling Work Group supports the HL7 mission by overseeing the tools that facilitate the development, adoption and use of HL7 standards, according to the requirements of the HL7 Board and membership needs.
Charter Work Products and Contributions to HL7 Processes
- The Tooling Work Group, will make recommendations to the HL7 Board and Technical Steering Committee regarding tools support for the HL7 standards.
- This work group manages the policies and processes that accomplish the functions of requirements management, configuration management, and deployment management of HL7 developed, endorsed, or fostered tools. This includes mechanisms for testing, evaluating, managing releases, funding, and harmonizing tools work from independent sources.
- For HL7-owned technology and support, this work group will provide guidance for architecture and technical standards, configuration, development scheduling, technical support and infrastructure.
- This work group will provide a forum for tools input and questions from the HL7 membership.
- This work group will provide tools training and documentation (in cooperation with the Education Work Group).
Formal Relationships with Other HL7 Groups
- The Tooling Work Group is subject to oversight by the Technical Services Support Steering Division and from them to the Technical Steering Committee.
- The Tooling Work Group will work with the Architecture Review Board as needed to ensure that the HL7 standards are sufficiently supported by automated tools and will follow the ARB recommendations with respect to requirements and priorities.
- The Tooling Work Group will work with the Publishing Work Group to harmonize requirements, plans, resources and strategies for tools related to publishing the HL7 standards.
- The Tooling Work Group will work with the Modeling and Methodology Work Group to ensure that the tools appropriately support the HL7 standards development methodology.
- The Tooling Work Group will work with the Implementation and Conformance Work Group to receive recommendations and feedback about HL7 tools from the perspective of standards implementers.
- The Tooling Work Group will work with the Education Work Group to ensure appropriate materials are available for HL7 tools users to support training, use, and further development.
- The Tooling Work Group will work with all HL7 Work Group that are developing content that will be published with the HL7 name to make recommendations that ensure that their work is supported sufficiently by automated tools. All HL7 Work Groups are responsible for ensuring adequate participation and representation in the Tooling Work Group in Tooling sponsored discussions to support this objective.
Formal Relationships with Groups Outside of HL7
- On occasion, a Board-approved relationship between the Tooling Work Group and an individual HL7 member organization may be established for enhancing contributions towards HL7's tools funds or other resources.
- A co-chair of the Tooling Work Group is the HL7 liaison to the Open Health Tools consortium to assist with continuous alignment of HL7 requirements and methodology with the OHT projects developing tools that support the development and use of HL7 specifications.
Date of Last Revision
DRAFT – 1 August 2008