Common Terminology Services - Release 2 (Normative)
- 1 Purpose
- 1.1 Background
- 1.2 Project Need
- 1.3 Project Scope Statement (approved by HL7 TSC, project #324 in Project Insight)
- 1.4 Project Milestones
- 1.5 Resources
- 1.6 Meetings
The HL7 CTS 2 SFM was balloted as a DSTU. The purpose of the DSTU process is specifically designed to provide a framework to develop trial artifacts to test and validate via implementation prior to standardization. The CTS 2 DSTU has expired after a two year period, but has resulted in at least two implementations, andd has influenced the development of many other terminology service implementations. It is necessary now to adjust the CTS 2 SFM to reflect real-world implementation experience.
This project will focus on on what is supported between the SFM and the OMG PIM. New requirements care expected to be surfaced, but will be logged for incllsion in alternate versions of CTS 2.
Project Scope Statement (approved by HL7 TSC, project #324 in Project Insight)
This updated project scope for the normative ballot of CTS2 will align the HL7 Service Functional Model (SFM) with the Object Management group (OMG) Platform Independent Model (PIM) to bring the CTS 2 SFM into alignment with the OMG PIM, correcting any errors identified in the SFM. This project will put a stake in the ground for this version of the CTS 2 SFM. Additional requirements are to be ruled out of scope for this ballot and added as desired extensions for a future version of the HL7 SFM within HL7. The goal of CTS 2 is to mediate amongst disparate terminology sources, providing support for administrative functions, search and query functions, maintenance functions and terminology mapping operations.
The approved project milestones are recognized to be core components of the Normative CTS 2 SFM. These milestones will be completed by the CTS 2 project group, and presented to the Vocabulary WG for review and approval. They will then be integrated as core pieces of the normative CTS 2 SFM.
Approved Project Milestones
- Alignment of CTS 2 with the HL7 Core Principles of Vocabulary - As part of the normative SFM, produce a draft of the CTS 2 SFM for approval by the Vocabulary WG where the descriptions, syntax and behaviors of CTS 2 terminology elements are aligned with the with HL7's Core Principles of Vocabulary. - Approved on 17-April-2012
- An OMG PIM/HL7 SFM traceability matrix - A matrix that aligns the OMG PIM and HL7 SFM documenting how the functional and information model requirements specified by the HL7 SFM are addressed by the OMG PIM. Additionally, this matrix will provide rational and describe the location of that operation in the PIM. - Approved on 17-April-2012
- A Conformance Profile for HL7 CTS 2 - As part of the normative SFM, the CTS 2 Conformance Profile will be used to specify the functionality and semantics required for a HL7 CTS 2 instance. The CTS 2 Conformance Profile will specify what operations are optional or mandatory, outline the minimal functionality required for an implementation to say that it conforms to HL7 CTS 2, and specify how an HL7 CTS 2 implementation will make use of HL7 datatype and object identifiers (OIDs) used by HL7. An approach to this would be to align the functionality in the SFM to the operational types defined in the PIM (query - read - maintenance), and then define what operations fulfill these profiles. - Approved on 24-April-2012
- UML Representation of MIF Vocabulary - As part of the normative SFM, develop a milestone deliverable that represents the critical (TBD) components of the HL7 terminology model as defined by the Vocabulary MIF schema. - Approved on 1-May-2012
- Functional and Information Model Clarifications - Develop a wiki page that enumerates the functional and information model clarifications/enhancements necessary for HL7 CTS 2 Normative. These will be addressed on a case by case basis, and the proposed resolutions will be presented the the Vocabulary WG for approval. - Approved on 1-May-2012
OMG Submitter Artifacts
- Documents Associated with Common Terminology Services 2 (CTS2) 1.0 - Beta 1
- OMG CTS 2 Platform Specific Model (PSM)
- CTS 2 Development Framework
- Information about STS, links to downloadable components
-  - backgroud to how the document on the wiki was filled out with regards to the Phast implementation (STS).
- Standard Terminology Server STS Description
CTS2N Work Artifacts
Meetings are weekly, every Tuesday, beginning February 7, 2012 Time: 10:00 AM Eastern STANDARD Time (GMT -5) Duration: 1 hour (until 11:00 AM Eastern)
Dial-in#: 770-657-9270 Passcode: 598745 (same passcode as the regular Vocab WG calls) WebEx: TBD Chair: Russell Hamm
- CTS2N - 1-May-12
- CTS2N - 24-April-12
- CTS2N - 17-April-12
- CTS2N - 3-April-12
- CTS2N - 27-Mar-12
- CTS2N - 6-Mar-12
- CTS2N - 21-Feb-12
- CTS2N - 14-Feb-12
- CTS2N - 7-Feb-12