Common Terminology Services - Release 2 (Normative)
- 1 Purpose
- 1.1 Background
- 1.2 Project Need
- 1.3 Project Scope Statement (approved by HL7 TSC, project #324 in Project Insight)
- 1.4 Project Milestones
- 1.5 Resources
- 1.6 Meetings
The HL7 CTS 2 SFM was balloted as a DSTU. The purpose of the DSTU process is specifically designed to provide a framework to develop trial artifacts to test and validate via implementation prior to standardization. The CTS 2 DSTU has expired after a two year period, but has resulted in at least two implementations, andd has influenced the development of many other terminology service implementations. It is necessary now to adjust the CTS 2 SFM to reflect real-world implementation experience.
This project will focus on on what is supported between the SFM and the OMG PIM. New requirements care expected to be surfaced, but will be logged for incllsion in alternate versions of CTS 2.
Project Scope Statement (approved by HL7 TSC, project #324 in Project Insight)
This updated project scope for the normative ballot of CTS2 will align the HL7 Service Functional Model (SFM) with the Object Management group (OMG) Platform Independent Model (PIM) to bring the CTS 2 SFM into alignment with the OMG PIM, correcting any errors identified in the SFM. This project will put a stake in the ground for this version of the CTS 2 SFM. Additional requirements are to be ruled out of scope for this ballot and added as desired extensions for a future version of the HL7 SFM within HL7. The goal of CTS 2 is to mediate amongst disparate terminology sources, providing support for administrative functions, search and query functions, maintenance functions and terminology mapping operations.
Approved Project Milestones
- Alignment of CTS 2 with the HL7 Core Principles of Vocabulary - As part of the normative SFM, produce a draft of the CTS 2 SFM for approval by the Vocabulary WG where the descriptions, syntax and behaviors of CTS 2 terminology elements are aligned with the with HL7's Core Principles of vocabulary. - Approved on 17-April-2012
- A Conformance Profile for HL7 CTS 2 - As part of the normative SFM, the CTS 2 Conformance Profile will be used to specify the functionality and semantics required for a HL7 CTS 2 instance. The CTS 2 Conformance Profile may specify what operations are optional or mandatory and outline the minimal functionality required for an implementation to say that it conforms to HL7 CTS 2. An approach to this would be to align the functionality in the SFM to the operational types defined in the PIM (query - read - maintenance), and then define what operations fulfill these profiles. - Approved on 24-April-2012
- An OMG PIM/HL7 SFM traceability matrix - A matrix that aligns the OMG PIM and HL7 SFM documenting how the functional and information model requirements specified by the HL7 SFM are addressed by the OMG PIM. Additionally, this matrix will provide rational and describe the location of that operation in the PIM. - Approved on 17-April-2012
Proposed Project Milestones
- HL7 Terminology Model - CTS2 Conceptual Model/Core Principles High Level Vocabulary Model/Other suggestions?
- Proposed changes to SFM based on review and implementation experience - how to deal with the incoming proposal based on implementations?
- Final integrated CTS 2 SFM - discuss the approach on how to deal with incoming suggestions concerning functionality following implementation.
OMG Submitter Artifacts
- Documents Associated with Common Terminology Services 2 (CTS2) 1.0 - Beta 1
- OMG CTS 2 Platform Specific Model (PSM)
- CTS 2 Development Framework
- Information about STS, links to downloadable components
- Background STS Functional Requirements Matrix - backgroud to how the document on the wiki was filled out with regards to the Phast implementation (STS).
Detailed specifications to be drafted by Vancouver WGM.
CTS2N Work Artifacts
Meetings are weekly, every Tuesday, beginning February 7, 2012 Time: 10:00 AM Eastern STANDARD Time (GMT -5) Duration: 1 hour (until 11:00 AM Eastern)
Dial-in#: 770-657-9270 Passcode: 598745 (same passcode as the regular Vocab WG calls) WebEx: TBD Chair: Russell Hamm
- CTS2N - 24-April-12
- CTS2N - 17-April-12
- CTS2N - 3-April-12
- CTS2N - 27-Mar-12
- CTS2N - 6-Mar-12
- CTS2N - 21-Feb-12
- CTS2N - 14-Feb-12
- CTS2N - 7-Feb-12