201801 Care Plan
Dedicated Zulip chat stream for this track.
Submitting WG/Project/Implementer Group
Previous Care Plan Connectathons
- 201709 Care Plan, September 2017, San Diego, CA
- 201704 Care Plan, April 2017, Chicago, IL
- 201701 Care Plan, January 2017, San Antonio, TX
Summary presentation slides after conclusion of CarePlan track
- Presentation slides TBD
This track is intended to advance the maturity of FHIR resources for care planning (CarePlan, CareTeam, Goal, Condition, and others) and definition of computable clinical protocols (PlanDefinition, ActivityDefinition), and to document industry best practices for improving care coordination using shared care plans. This work will inform the development of more comprehensive implementation guides and profiles for care planning based on FHIR Release 3 (STU), which is the primary target for testing in this track. This connectathon track will be coordinated with testing of CarePlan by Clinicians on FHIR where they focus on clinical interoperability and harmonizing differences between the technical and clinical perspectives of FHIR resources.
In addition to advancing the maturity of FHIR resources for care planning, this track invites participation by clinicians and implementers who are interested in using these FHIR standards to achieve the vision of comprehensive shared care plans. As a first step toward this vision, we have included a new participant role, CDS Service Requestor, that begins to evaluate and demonstrate use of FHIR care planning resources for the active management of a patient's healthcare.
Proposed Track Lead
- Dave Carlson – VHA
- E-mail: dcarlson@ClinicalCloud.solutions
- Zulip: Dave Carlson
The following organizations have indicated an interest in participating in this track:
- Clinical Cloud Solutions, LLC
- Healthcare Services Platform Consortium (HSPC)
- Veterans Health Administration (VHA)
- Zynx Health
- Your organization here!
Care Plan Server
A FHIR server (version 3.0) should support the following resources for this track:
- CarePlan, CareTeam, Goal, Condition
- Other resources as needed for value of CarePlan.activity.reference
A FHIR server is available for testing with sample data that represent one or more care plan scenarios.
- HSPC sandbox server (FHIR 3.0.1) at https://api-stu3.hspconsortium.org/careplantest/open
- Test data JSON files are available in a GitHub repository that may be loaded into other FHIR v3.0 servers.
Care Plan Requestor
This connectathon track imposes few requirements for interested participants to evaluate and test retrieval of care plan resources from a Care Plan Server. We wish to encourage discussion and testing that will lead to robust industry support for shared care plans. Thus, a requestor role could be fulfilled by a range of applications, such as the following:
- Debug testing tools for RESTful services, e.g. Postman, that allow query of participating Care Plan Server using a variety of parameters such as plan category or date.
- SMART on FHIR applications that embed Care Plan review and editing capabilities into any EHR system that supports these services.
- SMART on FHIR mobile applications that enable patients to view, contribute to, or check off completed activities included in a care plan created by their care team member(s).
CDS Service Requestor
- Invoke a CDS Hooks Service that guides a clinician or a patient toward fulfillment of a Care Plan's goals, or suggests additional activities based on clinical practice guidelines. The CDS Hooks Service provides real-time clinical decision support as a remote service, where the CDS Server is invoked on a desired hook and returns the decision support in the form of CDS cards.
- Evaluate progress toward care plan goals
- Invoke 'patient-view' hook on all known CDS service endpoints
- Query and analyze relevant Observations related to a Goal target measure (e.g. blood glucose, weight, etc.)
- Notify care team members when insufficient progress
- Recommend additions to care plan activities
- CDS service uses clinical practice guidelines for preventive care or chronic condition management
- Evaluate progress toward care plan goals
Care Plan Protocol Creator
- Create and share Care Plan protocol definitions via FHIR server endpoint (PlanDefinition, ActivityDefinition).
- Protocol guidelines, e.g. for new diabetes diagnosis, prenatal care for new pregnancy
- Order set definitions that recommend modification of activities in an existing care plan, e.g. modify medications based on vital sign or lab observation feedback; see CDS integration
- Generate a CarePlan from a PlanDefinition protocols, customized using the current Patient's context.
This track emphasizes dynamic care planning scenarios where the care plan is created, accessed, or updated by one or more members of the care team during the provision of healthcare, and the care plan is used by a patient or his/her caregivers to perform assigned activities. These scenarios illustrate communication flow of care plan(s) between a patient, his or her primary care provider, consulted specialists, home health care, telehealth care, and family caregivers involved in management of care for one or more health conditions.
This scenario is based on Section 3.4 of the HL7 Care Plan Domain Analysis Model (DAM) documents dated 2015-11-04.
- Primary Care Plan
- Patient has a current care plan for one or more pre-existing condition (e.g. Hypertension, COPD, Depression, etc.)
- Diagnosis of a new condition (e.g. Diabetes)
- Update the care plan to reference the new Condition, Goal(s) for care, and intervention activities
- Add members to the care team, as needed
- Include patient-assigned goals and activities
- daily measurement of blood pressure, blood glucose, etc.
- daily or weekly exercise goals
- scheduled follow-up appointments, or patient-assigned activities to schedule future appointment(s)
Multi-Provider Care Coordination
- Primary Care Physician (PCP)
- PCP manages care for existing conditions, as in the first scenario
- Specialist referral to a different provider organization
- e.g. referral to OB/GYN for prenatal care, or to physical therapist for rehab
- Specialist practitioner creates a new care plan using his/her organization's EHR system
- Coordinate and notify care plan updates between provider organizations
Clinical Domain Scenarios
These clinical scenarios are complementary to the general care planning and care coordination scenarios listed in the previous section. Each clinical scenario described below is based on contributions from communities interested in solutions using FHIR Care Plan.
Maternity Care Coordination
This scenario is based on a realistic Veteran Persona developed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, but may also represent coordination of care for any pregnancy. "Meghan" is a post-9/11 Veteran who served in Afghanistan and is recovering from a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and PTSD. Meghan recently became pregnant with her third child and is coordinating care plans between her primary care provider at VA and a community provider outside of VA for her OB/GYN and prenatal care. Meghan has concerns about possible negative effects from Teratogenic medications prescribed for her TBI-caused seizures and PTSD anxiety.