201605 Patient Track Proposal
If creating a client, this track should require minimal work in advance of the connectathon, though at least a bit of playing is recommended. If creating a server, advanced preparation will be required, but this scenario should somewhat limit the effort involved.
Submitting WG/Project/Implementer Group
FHIR Management Group (FMG) in association with Patient Care (PC)
This is the Track 1 - Patient testing that is included in all FHIR Connectathons.
Its purpose is to provide a way for those new to FHIR to participate using a simple scenario that can be met with limited domain knowledge, and by those who have not have a lot of exposure to FHIR. It is quite feasible to complete the client side of the track within a day with only knowledge of a development environment - no previous FHIR knowledge.
While it can help the Patient resource progress along the Maturity Model, this is a secondary objective as the Patient resource has already had substantial exposure both at connectathons and in the wild.
Proposed Track Lead
Unknown in this case. New participants typically make up 30% or more of Connectathon attendees.
Enable the creation and retrieval of the Patient resource operations using the defined basic CRUD operations: create, history, read, search, update and delete.
Support the receiving and processing of the Patient resource operations: create, history, read, search and update.
1. Register a new patient
- Action: (Patient Demographics consumer) creates a new patient and save to Patient Service. The client can assign the Id.
- Precondition: Patient does not exist in service prior to action
- Success Criteria: Patient created correctly on server (use browser to inspect Patient)
- Bonus point: The Patient resource has an extension
>>Note: the resource Id can either be created by the client or the server (depending on the capability of the server). However, if the server assigns the Id, then the client will need to be able to retrieve the Id from the server response or by a patient query.
2. Update a patient
- Action: (Patient Demographics consumer) updates the patient created in scenario #1 and updates to Patient Service. The patient is retrieved by Id.
- Precondition: Patient has been created
- Success Criteria: Patient updated on server (use browser to inspect Patient)
- Bonus Point #1: Update a patient that has extensions, but leaving the extension untouched.
- Bonus Point #2: Update a patient that has extensions, and update the extension also.
3. Retrieve Patient history
- Action: (Patient Demographics consumer) searches the patient Service for the history of a Patient
- Precondition: There is a patient that has at least one update
- Success Criteria: Patient's history displayed in interface. (use browser query Patient Service)
- Bonus point: The UI allows the user to display previous versions of the Patient
4. Search for a patient on name
- Action: (Patient Demographics consumer) searches the patient Service for patients with a given name
- Precondition: Patients with that name have been created
- Success Criteria: patients displayed in interface. (use browser query to confirm)
5. Delete a patient
- Action: (Patient Demographics consumer) deletes the patient with a given id
- Precondition: a Patients with that Id has been created
- Success Criteria: Subsequently querying for the patient - either searching by name or by Id - fails.
Here are some links to assist implementers:
- REST API in the Spefication.
- Patient resource in the Spefication.
- Java client sample.
- .net client sample.
- Publicly Available FHIR Servers for testing.
The supporting TestScripts and corresponding fixtures will be committed to the FHIR SVN repository