This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here
<meta name="googlebot" content="noindex">

20160308 US Realm SC Call

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

back to US_Realm_Steering_Committee
back to US_Realm_Steering_Committee_Conference_Calls

US Realm Steering Committee Call Agenda/Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 156896#

Date: 2016-03-08
Time: 1 PM Eastern
Co-Chairs Ed/Brett Note taker(s) Anne
Attendee / Name
x Calvin Beebe x Keith Boone x Hans Buitendijk
Regrets Lorraine Constable x Johnathan Coleman x Ed Hammond
x Tony Julian x Paul Knapp Regrets Austin Kreisler
x Brett Marquard Ken McCaslin Nancy Orvis
Brian Pech Wayne Kubick Mark Roche
Sandra Stuart . Pat Van Dyke x Anne Wizauer
Visitor / Name
no quorum definition




  • HIMSS recap
  • Review of any outstanding issues


  • Called to order at 1:06
  • Ed asks if anyone attended HIMSS - anything of significance from the week for US Realm? Hans helped out with the HL7 booth. Good traffic, lots of attention to FHIR; standing room only in many cases. Tried to ask Mark how traffic compared to last year but data needs to be analyzed. Ed: how much FHIR activity away from HL7 booth? Hans: Quite a few places either as education tracks or the interoperability showcase. Quite a few booths showcased it as well. ONC as well; Karen di Salvo announced grants for FHIR-based apps. Keith was there as well; lots of activity in interoperability showcase - about 15,000 people came through, which is about 1/3 of the attendees which is up compared to last year. Many questions about FHIR and which use cases were demonstrating FHIR, of which there were two. Saw FHIR on many vendor signs and materials. ONC is putting forth $625,000 for the app challenges in both prize money and grants for organizations that want to participate. Johnathan: At HIMSS, the ONC announced the interoperability proving ground - we should talk more about at a future meeting. Ed: At the next HL7 meeting in Montreal on Sunday at International Council meeting, ONC will present some of the activities and attempt to engage the international community. The pilots that are part of SDC and DAF are now beginning to start. Johnathan suggests having a similar spot in September.
    • ACTION: Anne to add to next week's call
  • Ed: HL7 in v2 decided we wouldn't duplicate any terminologies and we started making HL7 tables. We also have created a number of domain analysis models that have created data elements that have been passed on to HL7. ONC as part of SDC have identified a set of data elements that are part of FHIR and are used in creating the forms; those numbers are expanding. NLM has value set authority and they are expanding. NIH is creating data elements. One thing we should discuss: From an HL7 perspective, what do we think the solution/action is in terms of trying to package the data elements? Hans: We need to get more clarity on what we mean with data elements. At time it represents a line entry on a table; other times it is more akin to a section of a resource. Whatever we do, we need to be clear on what we're talking about it. What is a data element and how does it fit into the scheme of things? Johnathan: data elements used in different ways aren't necessarily conducive to being harmonized. Hans: we also need to figure out what we mean by harmonization. If we don't harmonize then we end up with mapping, which has its challenges. Where we are in different vocabularies have different levels of granularity. Need to ensure we do things differently this time than the other times we've attempted to work on this same issue.

Meeting Outcomes

Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

© 2014 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved