This wiki has undergone a migration to Confluence found Here
<meta name="googlebot" content="noindex">

20160209 US Realm SC Call

From HL7Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

back to US_Realm_Steering_Committee
back to US_Realm_Steering_Committee_Conference_Calls

US Realm Steering Committee Call Agenda/Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#

Date: 2016-02-09
Time: 1 PM Eastern
Co-Chairs Ed/Ken Note taker(s) Anne
Attendee / Name
Regrets Calvin Beebe x Keith Boone Tentative Hans Buitendijk
Regrets Lorraine Constable x Johnathan Coleman x Ed Hammond
x Tony Julian x Paul Knapp x Austin Kreisler
Regrets Brett Marquard Ken McCaslin Nancy Orvis
Brian Pech John Quinn Mark Roche
Sandra Stuart . Pat Van Dyke x Anne Wizauer
Visitor / Name
no quorum definition



  • Agenda review
  • Review notes from 20160126_US_Realm_SC_Call
  • Discussion topics/Strategic topics:
    • FHIR Foundation - suggestion from last call that it should be called the HL7 Foundation given that ONC funding will funnel through for both FHIR and CDA
    • Update on US Affiliate?
    • Has anyone from ONC gotten back to Paul regarding additional fields in UDI?


  • Called to order at 1:04
  • A lot of questions that deal with policy and procedure. How do we solve these problems? Fresh Look Task Force arose out of V2/V3/CDA. US Realm might come to next Fresh Look meeting on Monday Q4 in Montreal and talk about some of the philosophy coming out of the US Realm projects and the philosophy of how to deal with FHIR. Where do we get our data elements accredited and standardized and then published across the board? Many political issues.
    • Keith: I would be interested in seeing the US Realm come together around a goal and objective for a strategy as a unit, rather than as a number of fragmented pieces. We need the coordination that a lot of other realms have through their affiliates. How could we come together to figure out how that might look? Ed: It will involve people other than members of this steering committee. Maybe we can get an agenda in advance that addresses some of those issues.
    • Johnathan: international outreach or collaborative projects are not really well known outside of groups participating in them. Paul: we need to foster people moving in that direction. Johnathan: should leverage relationships that do exist and get them involved in HL7 activities. Paul: problem that they may have is there are people of interest in other associations but no topic table around which they can gather. Domain committees within HL7 can be that topic table.
    • Ed: will start putting together an agenda for the fresh look meeting. Austin: we should also invite reps from the affiliates council. Ed will announce at international council. Paul: US activities tend to go off in their own direction. It's a good thing politically to do the reach out.
  • FHIR Foundation is moving forward as a 501c3. Lots of questions about the role. It will be called the FHIR Foundation. If we want a CDA Foundation later we can do so. Considerable discussion about the relationship between Argonaut and FHIR Foundation and potential redundancies. The focus of the Foundation is for implementers and education, rather than for creating the standards. Paul: we've already spent money on help desk and certification, and I'm concerned about what the story is that these activities tell, and when we're going to tell the story to the membership. Ed: There is concern that they will become competitive organizations with each other - we need to track that. Paul: One issue that resulted in T3SD was because of a disconnect between membership and organizational activities, and is concerned we're doing that again. Keith mentions concern about folding in Argonauts. Ed will go back to push for some member communication around the issue. Paul mentions lack of communication about the issue to TSC, FMG, other groups. Without knowledge we can neither criticize nor support. Ed will share these suggestions.
  • US Affiliate continues to be discussed elsewhere.
  • UDI fields: Johnathan will try to track it down. Paul: Mark Roche is taking a look and is going to get back to me.
  • Adjourned at 1:42

Meeting Outcomes

Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

© 2014 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved