Mu ITS Tool
This page describes a prototype tool to define, test, and deploy a Micro-ITS or Green CDA. The purpose of the tool is to encourage experimentation with Micro-ITS or Green CDA, to help elicit the full requirements for these facilities.
The tool can be downloaded from the HL7 Homebase. It meets most of the requirements in Mu ITS Requirements, and can be used to make a Green CDA. The download contains a sample Micro-ITS project and help files.
Each Micro-ITS is derived from a V3 RMIM (with templates, if it is a CDA). The Micro-ITS is a definition of an XML structure, which is simpler and flatter than the V3 ITS for the RMIM, and which carries a defined subset of the information in it. The XML can use meaningful business names for tags and attributes. The tool provides a reliable means of transforming instances between the Micro-ITS and the full V3 ITS, in both directions.
You define a micro-ITS by navigating the tree structure of the V3 RMIM, and choosing:
• Which attributes will be included in the XML, with which business names
• Which associations will be ‘collapsed’ to make the XML flatter than the full V3 ITS
• For the remaining associations, what business names are used for the XML tags
The tool then generates:
• Semantic mappings from the XML onto the RMIM
• A skeleton instance of the XML
• A schema for XML
• Driver files for a Java runtime translator, which can translate from the Micro-ITS to full V3, or in the reverse direction.
A short description of how to make a micro-ITS or Green CDA, using the tool, is in How to Build a Micro ITS (zip). An example Green CDA instance, with its translation to CCD and back again, is in GreenExample (zip).