Marital Status Code Definitions
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The union of two people by a jurisdictionally valid entity, recognized by the existence of a current valid marriage contract. The jurisdiction is typically a governmental, social, or religious entity.
- Married Living Together
- A current marriage contract is active and couple currently have the same residence.
- A current marriage contract is not active
- A married couple is voluntarily living apart in anticipation of becoming legally separated or divorced
- Never Married
- No marriage contract, valid or invalid, has ever been entered.
- A person whose marriage has been legally dissolved and who has not remarried.
- A person who has had a valid marriage contract terminated by the death of his/her spouse and has not re-entered a valid marriage contract.
- A legal status occurring when a voidable marriage is declared null and void, as though it never existed, by a controlling authority. Grounds for annulment vary between jurisdictions. Annulment can occur in the context of civil law or within a religious domain.