Product EHR VR FP
Product Brief - HL7 EHR Vital Records Functional Profile (EHR VR FP)
Electronic Health Record Systems - Vital Records Functional Profile (EHR VR FP)
Application Functional Specifications
Normative, ANSI Standard
- balloted, but not yet published informative documents; not yet registered with NIST
The goal of the Electronic Health Record System Vital Records (VR) Functional Profile Project is to create an HL7 EHR-S Functional Profile that will facilitate leveraging electronic health record (EHR) systems to capture vital records (Birth and Death-related) data at the point of contact or point of care. The VR profile must articulate the functional requirements needed to support messaging among providers, states, local registrars and Federal agencies. The project will initially be U.S. Realm based; however it may be expanded to include international affiliates.
Business Case (Intended Use, Customers)
- State Vital Registrars,
- EHR Vendors,
- Providers and Clinicians,
- Vendor: Health Care IT,
- Provider: Healthcare Institutions;
- Local and State Departments of Health
The intent of this project is to improve timeliness, data quality, data dissemination and reduction of data errors by decreasing duplicate entries of vital registration data. The intent is to develop the EHR-S VR profile to serve as a source of reference, to facilitate capturing vital records data (birth, death, and fetal death) at the point of care or point of contact, and to facilitate data exchange among providers, state and local registrars, and federal agencies.
Implementations/ Case Studies (Actual Users)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/National Center for Health Statistics
- National Association for Public Health Systems and Information Systems
- State Departments of Health including Colorado, Minnesota, South Carolina and Washington
- The Vital Records Birth and Death Registration Project will be supported through the activities of the Vital Statistics Standards Committee (VSSC). The VSSC consists of representatives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, the National Association for Public Health Statistics and Information Systems, representatives from States' Departments of Health, and additional stakeholders and interested parties as identified. The representatives will include those who can contribute to the development and implementation of an electronic VS standard including, but not limited to: Federal and state VS representatives, systems analyst, project managers, subject matter experts, and informaticists.
- For more information on the EHR-S FM and the HL7 Electronic Health Records Work Group, please visit: www.HL7.org/ehr.
- See more at http://www.hl7.org/implement/training.cfm
From HIMSS 2009
- EHR-S FM and Standard
- EHR minutes have presentations at http://wiki.hl7.org/index.php?title=EHR_Interoperability_WG
Relationship to/Dependencies on, other standards
- EHR-S FM
- VR DAM in process
Links to projects in development
- Project Insight # 223, EHR Vital Records Functional Profile