Observation FHIR Resource Proposal
- 1 Observation
- 1.1 Owning committee name
- 1.2 Interested Work Groups
- 1.3 FHIR Resource Development Project Insight ID
- 1.4 Scope of coverage
- 1.5 RIM scope
- 1.6 Resource appropriateness
- 1.7 Expected implementations
- 1.8 Content sources
- 1.9 Example Scenarios
- 1.10 Resource Relationships
- 1.11 Timelines
- 1.12 gForge Users
- 1.13 Issues
Owning committee name
Interested Work Groups
FHIR Resource Development Project Insight ID
Scope of coverage
The observation resource covers simple as well as complex assertions and measurements made about a patient, specimen, device or other subject.
Fundamentally, observations can be as simple as name/value pair assertions with little structure, as well as observations nested within other observations to represent a rich and complex observation, although there are several resources such as DiagnosticReport to manage and represent aggregation patterns for observations. Expected uses for this resource include:
- Vital signs: temperature, blood pressure, respiration rate
- Laboratory Data and other Diagnostic Measures
- Measurements emitted by Devices
- Clinical assessments such as APGAR
- Personal characteristics: height, weight, eye-color
- Diagnoses (Note: track-able conditions, allergies, adverse reactions and more complex structures are handled elsewhere)
- Social history: tobacco use, family supports, cognitive status
- Core characteristics: pregnancy status, death assertion
- ACT: Observation (ClassCode=OBS and descendants)
- ACT: Observation (Code=ObservationType)
Observations are a central element in healthcare, used to support diagnosis, monitor progress, determine baselines and patterns and even capture demographic characteristics.
Required for CCDA. Referenced as part of DiagnosticReport.
- HL7 v3 Laboratory Standard - Normative
- HL7 v2.x
- HL7 OO Specimen DAM Project
- Vote by WG (Ready for ballot): July 2013
- Ballot: September 2013
- Lorraine Constable
- Patrick Loyd
- Need to explicitly define the difference between this and: Alert, AllergyIntolerance, AdverseReaction, Condition, DeviceObservation, OperationOutcome and Questionaire
- Need the RIM scope to exclude the content for Alert, AllergyIntolerance, etc.
- Should be looking at OpenEHR too. National projects?
- Need to provide a description for all "related" resources - related how?
- Need to add example scenarios
Copyright © Health Level Seven International ® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The reproduction of this material in any form is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.