MAX - Model Automated eXchange
The goal of the MAX toolkit is to enable the import, export, and round-tripping of a user defined subset of model elements specified in a UML modeling tool.
This page is work in progres. You can always contact the tooling list for questions.
This is currently implemented as an Sparx Enterprise Architect Add-In.
- Overview of MAX - history, rationale and functionalities
- Install instructions
- Download from:
- How-to use MAX (instructions)
- Import from Excel to EA <@box:Documentaion/MAX How-To Import in Excel 2010.pdf>
- Export from EA to Excel
- Data Elements editing
- Support; if you have questions, bugs or suggestions, send a mail to the tooling list: 
- Sample Projects
- RIM/MIF as UML - Using XSLT to transform MIF to MAX and then import MAX into EA as UML using the MAX Extension.
- EHR-S FM Profiling Tool; model, validation, publication
- Data Elements: Pilot TB, Pilot BPD
- FHIR as UML
- Generate WikiText from models
Visual Studio C# Packages: SVN Source Code
N.B. Archived Project Content!
MAX - Model Automated eXchange is a project intended to develop a tool to facilitate the exchange of model data between UML modeling tools used to develop DAMs and DCMs such as Enterprise Architect and external data structures (e.g., caDSR, MIF, CSV).
This project will include the specification of requirements, construction of the tool, and education of modeling facilitators in its use.
Anticipated functionality of the tool includes: the ability to import some or all of Domain Analysis Models (e.g., BRIDG), Design Information Models (e.g., CMETs, DMIMs, RMIMs, CDMs), and Reference Information Models (i.e., RIM); and the ability to export Enterprise Architect some or all model content to metadata repositories (i.e., caDSR) as well as open file structures such as XML, CSV.
Max Tool Survey
1. What modeling tools are people using now?
Argo, Rational, Visio, EA
2. Has there been a need to export or import data from your modeling tool?
a. When it is over 500 characters long text is stripped out. but doesn’t see a need for a 3rd party. b. Only works one way currently, export only need to be able to import changes from stakeholders to the model instead of the current copy and paste. c. To communicate stakeholder's comments to the modeler and to review the modeler's product.
3. What was the reason an export or import was needed?
a. Need to take export into caDSR which allows you to add things to your tool then you can import back in, maps own concepts, upload into caDSR. b. Not vendor dependent, XMI. Can’t work in the same model at the same time, extracting excel file-need mapping when they put it back in. c. Stakeholder review and provide feedback in a format that is easy for them to work with and understand.
4. How was the exchange carried out?
a. EA, rigged it to make an excel file on export. Copy and past changes back in to EA b. EA to access data base is one-sided. Currently working with tag value..
5. How well did the process work, and how could it be improved?
a. spreadsheet for clinicians with properties b. able to export information into a spreadsheet structure using column names that are non technical and familiar to clinicians. Able to track changes and upload back into model without cut and paste that leads o errors.
- September 2011: media:MAX_Sept_2011_presentation.ppt
- MAX Project Scope Statement: File:HL7 Project Scope Statement MAX v2.doc
- September 2011: media:MAX_-_Requirements.doc
- May 2012: media:MAX_Phase_One_Project_Scope.pdf
Max Work Products
- HL7 RIM version 3.25 in UML: media:RIM_3.25.eap.zip
- A MAX proof of concept can be found on gForge @ http://gforge.hl7.org/gf/project/max/
Copyright © Health Level Seven International ® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The reproduction of this material in any form is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.