Food and Drug Administration
This is a Glossary page for the RPS Project
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is the United States Regulatory Authority that controls the manufacture, quality and distribution of drugs, biological medical products, medical devices, foods, dietary supplements, vaccines, blood products, veterinary products and cosmetics. It is a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
The FDA is one of the four regulatory members of the International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH), along with the European Medicines Agency (EMEA), the European Commission and the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW).
- 1 Food and Drug Administration Organization
- 1.1 The Office of the Commissioner
- 1.2 Center for Drugs Evaluation and Review (CDER)
- 1.3 Center for Biologics Evaluation and Review (CBER)
- 1.4 Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN)
- 1.5 Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM)
- 1.6 Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH)
- 1.7 National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR)
- 1.8 Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA)
- 2 External Links
Food and Drug Administration Organization
The U.S. FDA consists of the following major subdivisions:
The Office of the Commissioner
The commissioner is a presidential appointment. Currently, the commissioner is Andrew von Eschenbach.
Center for Drugs Evaluation and Review (CDER)
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Review (CBER)
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN)
This branch regulates food, dietary supplements, food additives, and cosmetics. From the viewpoint of the RPS project, the areas of most concern are food additives and cosmetics, which require regulatory approval to be marketed.
Information on the current process of electronic submissions of Food and Color Additives to CFSAN can be found on the FDA website: , and uses form FDA Form 3503 for Food Additives and FDA Form 3504 for Color Additives.
There are no current procedures for electronic filing of Dietary Supplements, Food Labeling or Cosmetics. All CFSAN guidance can be found here: 
Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM)
Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH)
National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR)
Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA)
- Food and Drug Administration Home Page
- Wikipedia page on Food and Drug Administration
- Armoire forte de sécurité
Copyright © Health Level Seven International ® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The reproduction of this material in any form is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.