EHR Records Management & Evidentiary Support (RM-ES) Project
To return to the >> EHR Work Group Page
Welcome to HL7's EHR Records Management & Evidentiary Support wiki page.
The charge of the RM-ES project team is to provide expertise to the EHR work group, other standards groups and the healthcare industry on records management, compliance, and data/record integrity for, EHR systems and related to EHR governance to support the use of medical records for clinical care and decision-making, business, legal and disclosure purposes. The project team will meet this charge by completing the following:
- Develop, ballot and refine the EHR-S RM-ES Functional Profile.
- First RM-ES Profile developed against EHR-S FM Release 1, a new profile will be developed against EHR-S FM Release 2 in 2012/2013
- Inform the EHR-S Functional Model and related standards on records management and evidentiary support functions and conformance criteria.
- Monitor and/or collaborate with other standards groups (HL7, ISO, HITSP) as appropriate to provide expertise or to work on joint projects that develop, promote or refine RM-ES requirements for EHRs.
- HL7 other groups such as the Interoperability Model, Structured Documents, Security
- International standards organization such as ISO through EHR-S FM
- Non-HL7 Standards Groups such as HITSP, Canada Health Infoway, etc.
- Advocate for RM-ES issues in the healthcare industry as appropriate.
Refer to the RM-ES Project Team Charter for more information.
The 2010 RM-ES Workplan includes detailed information on the activities and work deliverables currently under development by the RM-ES team.
Task Group Leaders
- Reed D. Gelzer
- Provider Resources, Inc.
- Phone: 203-506-5361
- email: RGelzer@Provider-Resources.com
- Diana Warner
- Phone: 312-233-1519
- Email: Diana.Warner@AHIMA.org
- Work Group Team Members
- Beth Acker
- Bobbi Bonnet
- Michael Brody
- Chad Brouillard
- Gary Dickinson
- Barbara Drury
- Michael Brody
- Kim Baldwin-Streid Reich
The RM-ES project team meets via conference call on a regular basis. The group may schedule a face to face meeting based on need. The RM-ES workgroup will report to the HL7 EHR Workgroup through their regular meetings or at the HL7 meetings.
- Standing Meeting Date/Time: Mondays at 12:30 PM EST /11:30 AM CST/ 10:30 AM MST/ 9:30 AM PST
- Full Team: Every Monday for 60 minutes
- Project teams: Alternate Mondays
- Call Logistics
- Phone Number: 770-657-9270
- Participant Passcode: 510269#
- PAGE UNDER REVIEW and RECONSTRUCTION
- Deliverable: A crosswalk between key criteria between the Lifecycle Model, CDA R2 Header, and RM-ES Profile to determine related metadata concepts and terms and work toward a single list of metadata concepts and definitions where possible.
- Working Document: RMES CrossWalk Report
- Evaluation of NPRM Meaningful Use and IFR Standards and Certification
- Update on Meaningful Use NPRM & Standards/Certification IFR related to the Record management & Evidentiary Support profile
- Working Documents
Legal EHR-S Gap Analysis
This analysis will identify gaps, overlaps, and conflicts between HL7 standards that support the Legal and Evidentiary Medical Records managementl; this project will determine whether the functional requirements identified in the Legal EHR-S Functional Profile - Release 1 are met. Our analysis will include but it is not limited to Domain Message Information Models: Medical Records Domain Model(RCMR_DM000050UV), Clinical Document Architecture Release 2(CDA R2)and its Implementation Guides. Secondly, this analysis will look at how the infrastructure functions common across EHR-Systems but identified as essential now by the Legal EHR-S Functional Profile - Release 1 are supported by HL7 security and privacy specifications (e.g. HL7 Role-Based Access Control Specification, and the Composite Privacy Consent Domain Analysis Model DSTU). Additionally, if workgroups have identified domain specific content (e.g. We will also look at areas of overlaps without attempting to specify the authoritative specification.
- Deliverable: Analysis of all conformance criteria that are associated with a function with priority "Essential Now" (EN) and "Essential Future" in the latest working copy of the Legal EHR-S Functional Profile that meet the following:
- All functions in the latest working copy of the Legal EHR-S Functional Profilewill be analyzed and we will identify the standards or domains in HL7 that meet the requirements raised by the function and its associate conformance criteria. For Example 22.214.171.124 Legal Hold Notice was added as "NEW" with a priority of "EF" while 2.2.1 Metadata General is marked NEW with a priority fo "EN". Our analysis will look at both the functions and their criteria and identify the standards that address them
- The analysis Conformance Criteria are marked to have been "added" (A) or "modified" (M) as well as those used unchanged.
- The gap analysis will use the terms and conventions clarified in the RMES CrossWalk Report.
- The gap analysis will identify gaps, overlaps,and conflicts in regarding the support of the functions and criteria.
Electronic Submission of Medical Documents (ESMD)-RMES Support Project
- S&I Framework esMD Initiative wiki site
- Author of Record sub group: The purpose of this work group is to investigate and recommend options to replace provider wet signatures on paper clinical documents with an electronic solution that provides document level proof of authorship. This solution must be identified in order for CMS to accurately authenticate who documented within the medical record, and trust the validity of the electronic claims attachments received.
This section contains Projects and associated documents that have been completed and/or archived.
RM-ES Standards Projects
- The RM-ES Functional Profile Release 1 is registered on the HL7 EHR Work Group’s functional profile website, which is hosted by the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST).
- The RM-ES Functional Profile Release 2 project is scheduled is in the process of launch Spring 2013
- The EHR-S Functional model Release 1 Standard is available from the ANSI Approved Standards website.
- The EHR-S Functional Model Release 2 project information is available from the EHR Workgroup Wiki
Related HL7 Workgroups and Wikis
- insert here
The RMES Functional Profile Listserve is ehrwglegal@lists.HL7.org. To subscribe to this service, go to the HL7 Listservices Welcome Page