Care Plan Project 2012
Return to: Patient Care
This is a Care Plan Project initiated in 2012.
This wiki page contains latest contents for the Care Project post September 2012 WGM at Baltimore.
It includes information on a collaboration project with SOA group to define Care Coordination Services (CCS)
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Important Discussion Topics
- 3 Care Plan Model and C-CDA Templates
- 4 Working Documents and Project Deliverables
- 5 Links to Other Related and Relevant Projects
- 6 Project Scope
- 7 Project Objectives and Outcomes
- 8 Care Plan Project Archives
- 9 Participants
- 10 Action items
Care Plan has been balloted in 2007 as DSTU. However, a number of ballot issues were not resolved satisfactorily and consequently the balloted contents did not reach DSTU status.
The project plan initiated in 2011 is to first develop a Domain Analysis Model (DAM) for the Care Plan, and then decide on follow on activities. The HDF 1.5 (HL7 development framework) approach will be followed. HL7 PC will work together with various groups including HL7 Work Groups (e.g. EHR, Structured documents), IHE, NEHTA, Canada Health Infoway, and others.
- Laura Heermann Langford
- Intermountain Healthcare, USA
- Phone: 801.290.6888
- Email: Laura.Heermann@imail.org
- Stephen Chu, MD
- NEHTA Australia
- Phone: +61.416.960.333
- Email: email@example.com
- Fortnightly: every second Wednesday at 17h00 NA Eastern Time /16h00 NA Central Time/ 15h00 NA Midwest Time/ 14h00 NA Pacific Time/ 22h00 UK / 23h00 Central Europe / 07h00 Australia (Eastern Standard Time)
- Interim meetings can be scheduled if needed.
- Call Logistics- voice
- Phone Number: 770-657-9270
- Participant Passcode: 943377#
- Call Logistics- screen sharing/
Web conferencing URL:
To be announced
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
Post September 2012 Baltimore WGM Meetings:
Archives of Meeting Agenda and Minutes prior to September 2012 Baltimore WGM:
Important Discussion Topics
During the development of the Care Plan models and related work, a number of topics continue to attract numerous inputs and debates.
- Types of Plan: The concepts "Care Plan", "Plan of Care" and "Treatment/management Plan" attracted extensive debates over a long period of time. Summary of the discussions and final resolution/decision is available on this wiki page:
- Types of Plan - Differentiation and Definitions (This topic replaces previous topic: Care Plan Definition)
- Health Concern: The Health Concern topic has been extensively debated on a number of HL7 Workgroup mailing lists.
- PCWG has a Health Concern project with the objectives of clearing defining this topic and related concepts, and how these concepts are used in patient care. Information on the Health Concern project can be access through this wiki:
- How the Health Concern and Concern Tracking topics are related to the "Health Concern", "Health Goal", "Care Activity", etc concepts identified in the Care Plan Domain Analysis Model will also be addressed by the Health Concern project
- Care Team: The composition of Care Team has also be discussed quite extensively and evolves over time. It is anticipated that this will continue to attract discussions and will continue to evolve.
- Currently, the following is a list of roles/professional roles that is considered as care team members:
- - Medical Practitioners (including all specialties and sub-specialties)
- - Nurses
- - Allied Health Practitioners (including Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, Psychologist, Pharmacist, etc)
- - Social workers
- - Care Managers, Disease Managers, Care Coordinators
- - Patient
- - Nominated patient family members
- - Care givers/carers
Care Plan Model and C-CDA Templates
C-CDA R2 includes a set of sections and entry templates to support care plan exchanges.
This section is dedicated to explore how the Care Plan model components are implemented as C-CDA templates.
Also in scope for exploration/discussion is the terminology/code sets required to support Care Plan implementations
Working Documents and Project Deliverables
Note: the following list of documents/deliverables will change as the project progresses.
Care Plan DAM - May 2014 Ballot and ballot reconciliation: in progress
Draft Care Plan DAM Specification for Informative Ballot 1 - September 2013:
Comparison of International Care Plan Structure as at 2011:
Coordinated Care Services Specification:
Links to Other Related and Relevant Projects
- The IHE Patient Care Coordination Technical Committee has published an IHE Technical Framework supplement:
- - IHE - Reconciliation of Clinical Content and Care Providers profile
- - This document is open for public comment in the period from June 6 through July 5, 2014
- - More details about comments submission can be obtained from this IHE link:
- - IHE comment spreadsheet:
- o IHE - Reconciliation profile comment spreadsheet
- o Comments can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Care Coordination Services Project details:
ONC/LCC Project website:
Structured Document WG: C-CDA Care Plan Template Project:
This wiki page provides drafts, updates to, and discussion forum on C-CDA Care Plan Templates work.
Structured Document WG: CDA Implementation Guilde Project on Clinical Oncology Treatment Plan and Summary:
As per Project Scope Statement documents.
To include link to Care Plan 2012 Project Scope Statement document when approved by TSC
Also to include Care Coordination Services Project Scope Statement document when approved by TSC
Project Objectives and Outcomes
To be revised. 1. Domain Analysis Model with the following deliverables (together with SD WG):
- Definitions of Care Plan and others.
- Work on storyboards and use cases (multiple). Emergency, Clinical hospital (discharge), Nursing home, chronic disease, primary care. Multidisciplinary. Example use cases can be: 1 chronic condition, obstetric case with transfer. After that CDA can use the work that is be done. CDS is an addition to the messages which already exist. They must be updated.
- Dynamic model for the Care Plan Topic
- Structural model. -> DAM (HDF within HL7)
Project Work Plan and Timeline
As per Care Plan Project Scope Statement.
Care Plan Project Archives
Care Plan Topic project (Project contents prior to 2011)
Project Team and Ressources
Primary Sponsor/Work Group is Patient Care WG
|Project Co-Lead||Laura Heermann Langford||Laura.Heermann@imail.org|
|Project Co-Lead||Stephen Chuemail@example.com||Co-Chair PCWG|
|Modeling facilitator||Enrique Menesesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Domain expert representative||Stephen Chu|
|Domain expert representative||Russ Leftwich|
|Domain expert representative||Kevin Coonan|
|Domain expert representative||Susan Campbell|
|Data Analyst facilitator||??|
|Business requirement analyst||??|
|Requirements process facilitator|
|Business requirement analyst|
|Requirements process facilitator||??|
Users of Care Plan
Contributors of the Care Plan Topic
To be revised.
|Collaborating with||Agreement status||Comments|
|CEN||Existing||Swedish Care Plan project|
Download CEN materials from Sweden here: http://www.hl7.org/Special/committees/patientcare/docs.cfm
See also the reference material wiki page (link above)
Most will be done in normal committee work time, and online via meetings.
To be defined.
Table to be inserted.
=Ballot strategy - general||
To be defined.
Copyright © Health Level Seven International ® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The reproduction of this material in any form is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.